Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-03-2011, 05:54 PM

I just aim for "better than the last one". No one has complained about the imperfections yet, but I don't point them out, either.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 PM

Hi Becky, " Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi I am far from perfect in my quilting but I love doing it and my family doesn't look for mistakes Life is good, SMILE peterparley
Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 PM

That is what I'm learning now, to give up on perfection, because I know that I can never reach it. I get frustrated because all of the quilts in the books that I look at look so "perfect." But I'm trying to teach myself that nothing is perfect. Granted, I do pull out threads when something looks off and not quite right. But I'm telling myself to do the best I can, and that is all I can do. Otherwise I would give up quilting. And I love to quilt.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 PM

A favorite teacher (and friend) told a class I was in to adhere to either the "Ten Foot Rule": if you can't see the error from 10 feet, forget about it; or, the "Friend Going to the Bathroom" rule: if a friend going to the bathroom sees a quilt through a partly opened door, & comes back to say"That is a gorgeous quilt on the bed/wall/sofa!" say "Thank you!" & DO NOT make excuses or point out any imperfections. Enjoy your art!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Becky13
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE quilting, but am frustrated at the sense that everything I do has to be perfect. Reading about the latest gadget that we can buy to make SURE that we get that 1/4" (minus two threads), just makes me sigh... And how we scurry to take out a seam when our blocks are off 3 threads. All the talk about being sure that everything is "exact". Are we quilting because it's fun? We're making a loving gift? Or is perfection the goal?
I hear you. Sew a seam. Rip it out. Perfection is my middle name. NOT!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 PM

I know what you mean. I look at the quilts in the shops and they seem so perfect. Mine will never be in a show but I made them from love and that should be all we can ask for.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:37 PM

This reminded me of the quilt group I belong to. Our name is The good enough quilters!

It doesn't have to be perfect it is HANDMADE if you want perfection become a microchip.

Imperfections add personality and "Soul" to a quilt. If we continually strive for perfection in everything we do then we become stressed, that is not what quilting or any craft is all about, just enjoy what you do. I am about to finish my second quilt which I will photograph and send for you all to see, I love it with all its imperfections and I hope you all love it too.

I say if you can't see your imperfections from the moon then it is perfect.

Perhaps more quilt tops would get finished if the person working on it would accept the fact that only God is
perfect and that we are mere mortals.
I aways try to give my projects the best that I can be, and am usually amazed at how well it comes out considering that
I will never be perfect!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:38 PM

I understand totaly. I make so many mistakes and have to rip them out but I take them in stride because I want the finished product to be as good as I can make it. But yest I do get frustrated with my erros.