Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops >

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

Old 02-04-2011, 04:23 AM

I, too, hand quilt without a hoop. I think the trick is basting well. Also, I use cotton batting so it is not too thick and easier to work with than polyester. It just takes practice.
tp
Old 02-04-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Celeste
Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Just to throw another opinion in the mix -- I don't use a hoop when I hand quilt. I do, however, spray baste the heck out of it :lol: and then start in the middle and work out...
I'd love to know how you do that!! I learned to hand quilt on little projects like a pillow or other small things. Can't seem to translate that to bigger projects. I had my left hand fingers close to the quilting on the top and bottom. (scrunched it in my hand, does that make sense?) I'm not having much fun with a hoop. Though I suppose I just need to practice more. . .

Yes it does make sense to me -- the scrunching of the edge of the project in your left hand...on a larger object where scrunching isn't possible, I pin the quilt with safety pins out of the way where I'm working. You can still "scrunch" the quilt but just not all of it...does that make sense?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste
Just to throw another opinion in the mix -- I don't use a hoop when I hand quilt. I do, however, spray baste the heck out of it :lol: and then start in the middle and work out...
I'd love to know how you do that!! I learned to hand quilt on little projects like a pillow or other small things. Can't seem to translate that to bigger projects. I had my left hand fingers close to the quilting on the top and bottom. (scrunched it in my hand, does that make sense?) I'm not having much fun with a hoop. Though I suppose I just need to practice more. . .

Yes it does make sense to me -- the scrunching of the edge of the project in your left hand...on a larger object where scrunching isn't possible, I pin the quilt with safety pins out of the way where I'm working. You can still "scrunch" the quilt but just not all of it...does that make sense?

I think so... just scrunch closer to where you are quilting? I'll have to "dig out" that huge project and give it a try. Thank you Sewjoyce.