Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men who quilt >

Men who quilt

Men who quilt

Old 02-04-2011, 07:08 AM

There is a quilt shop in Phoenix called "The Three Dudes" which is owned and run by 3 men who really know their stuff and do marvelous work.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:25 AM

I took some things to the quilter a couple of days ago and found out her husband pieces.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 AM

Is your DH aware that most clothing designers are MEN? I had a freind who was married to guy that was a master tailer in his own right. He made his sons prom night suit and it was the envy of all the young men who attended. He made all his wife's clothes too. And he was as "straight" as my DH! I knew another gentleman who made quilts that were to die for and he was as "straight" as they come. I hope your DH can get past that stigma. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 AM

I am glad that this was brought up as my nine year old grand son has been begging me to teach him how to quilt but I did not know how his dad would feel about it as he has never said anything in front of either of his parents. Now I have some proof that men do quilt, I told my grandson there were many men who quilted and made a lot of money from it. His attention span is still very little so I have to figure out what kind of a pattern to use. I told him as soon as I was finished with the big project I am working on now we would do one together for him.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 AM

You go girl! I think that is great. This will let him know if this is really a hobby he wants to pursue. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:36 AM

I am betting your hubby would enjoy quilting. We have 4 men in our guild, and they are slowly coming forth and taking part. One was an officer last year--publicity.
A friend of mine and her husband both quilt. I am sure he is very good at it, as he was an Eye Surgeon. They have to know how to tie all sorts of knots and take tiny stitches.
Since I know Men as being "macho," whenever I mention something new, I have to let him move into it slowly. I hope your DH will continue to quilt, as it is very good "therapy."
Mariah
Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 AM

my husband quilts some. when it isnt hunting season. He is a vet, gets partial disability. It is a challenge for him and he needs a hobby. has his own machine. I load the quilts on the longarm for him and he quilts them. He is still leary of the longarm. LOL.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 AM

I have an Uncle who will be 80 this summer who quilts. He even bought himself a quilting machine and set it up in his shop. He does eye spy quilts for the GGkids, plus for the other family members. He machine quilts the quilts my Aunt makes also.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 AM

Two very well known men in the quilt world are Ricky Timms and John Flynn. They both have web sites you can go to and they make beautiful quilts. I have taken a seminar from Ricky Timms. John Flynn was a civil engineer before he started quilting, actually he made his wife a hand quilting frame, and that was his start in quilting. Yes there are many men involved in the industry.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 AM

Hey Ladies let me tell you back about 1948 there was a long snow spell in Ar & Ok, Tx Granny taught my husband how to quilt. Also my Dad was a quilter until he was 88. While rasing my grandchildren I taught them to sew and quilt. At 9 yo my oldest grandson was exhibiting his tops in quilt shows. Yes men Do make quilts Does Ricky Tims name mean anything.? Marvel