Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Flat Rate Envelopes Denied! >

Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

Flat Rate Envelopes Denied!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 AM

It time to use the competitor. And they can track their packages. Like I said before I work for the US Government and they use Fed Ex for everything.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:48 AM

My opinion: USPS is tooting their horns about the flat rate boxes and envelopes, but I do a lot of shipping and I've found them too small or too shallow for what I ship. Even if they do meet my need in size, regular Priority rates (and free boxes/envelopes) always end up being cheaper to ship than a flat rate one.

For fabric, order some free priority tyvec envelopes. They are light-weight (but super strong), and the packaging, being so light-weight, adds less to shipping weight and costs than a box does.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 AM

my post office still lets me stuff them as of yesterday
Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 AM

I dropped off a padded envelope yesterday. Clerk remarked that it closed much better and felt heavier than the reg FRE that I had been mailing. I just ordered another 15 box on the website.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 PM

I have used flat rate USPS envelopes alot. Since the rate is the same, can you put cardboard inbetween the fabric and squash the air out of the envelope before sealing it down.

USPS rules do state that you can't alter the package shape. I would weigh your stuffed envelope before you get it to the PO. Even at 13 ounces first class is only 3.26, but not packaged in a priority mail envelope if is to be mailed first class.

You can purchase large kraft style manilla envelopes in a pack in the dollar store and use them provided your pkg is under 13 ounces. Once its a pound or more package, parcel post can also be a cheaper way to ship something. Its slower, but cheaper.

You can get yourself a small electronic (batteries or electric) postage scale at Walmart, Office Max, Staples and Office Depot. They may help you out. I always weigh stuff before I send it. The USPS rates are free to download. Hope this helps you out. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ
Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Is it wise to stuff anything to the bursting point before you mail it?
What if?.......
Old 02-04-2011, 12:27 PM

It happened to me in Reading PA also
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ljfox
I am a Postmaster and if your post office clerk is telling you that you can only ship documents in the flat rate envelopes then I would ask to talk with the Postmaster. There is no such rule. As long as your envelope can seal on its own before you tape it then it costs the flat rate of 4.95. It can be lumpy, lopsided, whatever, as long as you can close it properly and you didn't open the sides of the envelope to make it bigger. If you don't get satisfaction from the postmaster, then go to USPS.com and file a complaint and ask for it to be excalated to consumer affairs since you already spoke to the postmaster. The new padded envelopes are available on the webside also. Sorry for your bad experience, you shouldn't be treated that way.
I am relieved to read this- I was getting a really bad impression of the US postal service before I read that, although it was making a certain amount of sense as I know lots of US websites refuse to ship internationally with post, and it just seemed so odd to me, having grown up trusting the post office.

It is frustrating for those of us in other countries when US sellers insist on using courier to send us stuff (ie when we have to pay for it). If you buy from, say, British websites they use the postal system to send stuff and it is so much cheaper and easier. It puts me off buying from US websites to be honest.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM

i just shipped 4.5 yds + in a priority mail, flat rate $4.95 thing. i don't know if they call it an envelope. it's made of cardboard.
it started out flat, but believe me, it wasn't flat after i filled it. how could it be? you're allowed to put in up to 4 lbs. they didn't like the tape all over it, but they didn't have a problem with the bulge at all. and it was a recycled (re-used) one, too.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Our small town post office changes postmasters often--usually young ones. I keep abreast of shipping rules. Sometimes I have to tell them to go look it up in the postal manual and show me if I'm wrong. I never am! So far, they've thanked me for calling whatever to their attention, and say something like "I'm just learning."