Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joanns fabric quality >

Joanns fabric quality

Joanns fabric quality

Old 02-04-2011, 01:09 PM

I agree with The casual Quilter who says she won't buy the fat quarters at Joanne's. I just made that mistake, and you can tell they are very poor quality. That being said, I have gotten lots of nice quilting fabrics there. Just be sure of quality.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:21 PM

I made a a 2 color log cabin quilt as a gift for my daughter for a wedding present and it was all made with Joann fabric! It took care with the washing as caring of it but it got ballie and slowly shredding and the seams came apart! It was a 100x100 quilt and lots of work went in to it! I will NEVER use Joann fabric again!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:39 PM

I prefer buying my fabric at my LQS. I usually buy discounted fabric. I think Jo-Ann's fabric is not very good quality. That being said, if that is your only choice go ahead and buy from them. I feel their fabric is overpriced for the quality they sell. I don't have to have a new line fabric. I buy what I like by color and quality to add to my stash! I rarely pay full price. I at least get 40% off by getting discountinued lines. I do buy notions and batting from Jo-Ann's. I love their coupons!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
This is only MY OPINION... I do not like the quality of their quilting calico cottons, usually displayed on one wall and I believe sell for $4 and change per yard. You will easily spot it. When I first started quilting I did not know any better and my first and second quilt was 100% JA calico fabrics(goes by the store name Keepsake and in no way related to Keepsake quilting). I found the fabric to fade a lot more then fabric I bought later from LQS. In places it became threadbare with basically no wear and tear on the quilt (in a guest room that is used infrequently) and many of the lighter colors you can basically read a book through it. Oh and a few darker colors bled and continue to bleed. Unfortunately at the time of construction I did not know about Retayne.

I find their other quilting cottons way over priced. Higher than LQS prices but I do not find it to be the same quality of LQS fabric in feel so I have always passed on it and never bought it. For example I have seen batiks in JA at $12+ per yard that are not as nice as the batiks in my LQS which are priced at $8 to $10 PY. South Seas Imports brand I have seen priced at JA at $11 PY in my LQS at $8.

However, JA is a good place for notions and batting provided you have a 40 or 50% off coupon. JMHO.
I was in the Joanne's in Marysville, WA before Christmas. They had a lot of notions and cutting boards on sale 1/2 off, and I did not even have to have a coupon- so I partook of that. As far as their quilting fabrics go, I did not buy any. I walked up and down the aisles and looked and felt, and was very unimpressed; their fabrics were very thin and the threads were too far apart. They also had their cotton batting half off, so I got two of them. There are lots of really nice LQS's in the Bellingham, Mt. Vernon area, and further south.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:49 PM

IF you are lucky enough to have a Jo-Ann's in your town or near you: their fabric is good. I quilt & Sew so I have used all kinds of their materials and never was once disappointed.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 PM

Joanns has some great fabric, and some cheap thin stuff that is even priced high. I've found some great fabrics there for $4.99yd and some terrible stuff at $9.99yd.

Just feel it, can you see thru it cuz it is too thin? Be an educated consumer.

I only buy when fabrics are on sale or use my 50% off coupon.

I like their inexpensive muslin to use as foundation for string blocks (even better with that 50% off coupon or on sale at 50% off which is quite often) I like their Kona Cottons too, usually buying Black.

Have fun shopping!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 02-04-2011, 04:37 PM

i personally do not like joanns. having said that, i do buy from their sale table, usually well-hidden way in the back. coupons are usually not good on sale merchandise, which means never they're never good, but right now there is a coupon good for 20% off all sale items, not just one, that you buy at the same time. it's also good on non-sale merchandise, but i would wait for a 40 for that. the link is

http://printable-coupons.blogspot.co...n-coupons.html

and if you print it out you can print out more than one and go back if needed. it's good in-store or online.

20% is not as good as 40%, but the 40's can't be used on sale items and they're only good for one item, so this is pretty good.

bookmark this link because the coupons keep updating.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:40 PM

I have never had a problem with their fabric. I do however buy the bulk of my fabric from a quilt fabric store.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:01 PM

I don't like their fabrics at all. They are a low thread count and so not high quality. This makes it very difficult to cut it well. Bellingham has several quilt stores which you can find if you Google them. Have fun.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:03 PM

I have found that JoAnn Fabrics is not the quality the LQS has. Fabric manufacturers make several different grades of fabrics. The top grade is sold to LQS and the lower grades to the chain stores. I can really tell a difference in the feel of JoAnn fabrics. It would be OK for small crafts but I wouldn't use it in a quilt.