Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men who quilt >

Men who quilt

Men who quilt

Old 02-04-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by SWChick
He is so old school that he can't belive that a man can work with fabric and be stright.
I'll chime in as another male quilter here. And happily married to my wife, too. :D You can have him take a look at my blog in my signature below if you'd like.

I see quilting as an art form, a creative outlet. It's no different than a man expressing himself by whittling something out of wood. It's all art. :)
Old 02-04-2011, 01:33 PM

While quilting has historically been done primarily by women, more and more men are beginning to quilt. There are several men who have won major prizes at quilt shows for their beautiful quilts. I have a quilt on my bed right now that my husband made and it is gorgeous! I would encourage your husband to get into quilting. It would be a great outlet for him.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 PM

Think of quilting as a second career.

Carol J.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:39 PM

Remind him that some of the great designers of clothing are men so why not an eye for quilting. Good luck. Men are generally good at math and quilting does require a good understanding of the subject. Tell him about the other male members of the board.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 PM

What about Ricky Tims and Alex. Can't think of the name of their show but you can pull it up without being a subscriber. You don't get the entire show but enough to show to your husband. Our guild has several men and I like it that they are not constrained by "rules" and many have gone on the patent ideas for the quilter. gigi
Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 PM

I am a newbie so I don't know quilters on the board but need some help. My DH is a disabled vet with too much time on his hands. I think he would be a great quilter because he has a great eye for detail, color and design. He has helped me cut a few times and each cut is perfect. The trouble is that he doesn't believe men quilt. He is so old school that he can't belive that a man can work with fabric and be stright. Need some help in convincing him that men make great quilters. HELP
My named is Glenn and I am a retired Army Warrant Officer with 25 years of service and I quilt and have been for many years. My wife does not. She has her own hobbies. So Tell him to jump in and join the board and start to quilt. Glenn
Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 PM

Oh! yes they do,,,When I was a kid I was over my girlfriends house and I had asked her what her dad was doing. Well,he was crocheting. She said that was therapy for him after he got out of the service. He did beautiful work. It seems most men do beautiful work. My husband's mother taught him to sew and I am glad because when I am in a "pickle" he comes and saves me,helps make my templates,gives advice when asked etc. Readjusts my sewing machine without me sending it to shop. I definitely would encourage him.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:40 PM

I am a newbie so I don't know quilters on the board but need some help. My DH is a disabled vet with too much time on his hands. I think he would be a great quilter because he has a great eye for detail, color and design. He has helped me cut a few times and each cut is perfect. The trouble is that he doesn't believe men quilt. He is so old school that he can't belive that a man can work with fabric and be stright. Need some help in convincing him that men make great quilters. HELP
my first exposure to men who quilt...was a huge blazing star quilt made by retired pennsylvaniadutch farmer in his 80's ..it was intricate and fabulous and the star of the show...no pun intended.

links:

http://www.flynnquilt.com/
http://www.rickytims.com/
http://www.unl.edu/mjames_quilts/

these are only a few of the many many talented 'men who quilt'. i have read articles, viewed works of men who quilt over the years since i first saw that farmers outstanding work of art. and for the most part...what seems to set these guys apart is the intricacy and high level of difficulty to thier designs and patterns. i hope that your husband can see these pages. read about these men. then do a search maybe for 'men who quilt'
such as this one that i pulled up:

http://www.zapmeta.com/?q=men%20who%20quilt

lastly...tho i tend to be a bit long winded in my posts...please...tell your husband thank you ...from all of us who have benefited over the decades from the service & sacrifices of all the men & women of our armed services
Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM

For years, we women have worked hard to show we can do the same jobs men do from medicine, business, law enforcement to name a few. It is time for men to jump on that same bandwagon and say they can do needle arts, cooking, etc and to heck with 'public opinion'! Genitals have very little to do with ability.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:56 PM

I don't know if he's a football fan, but if he is, remind him that Rosie Greir of the NY Gaints and LA Rams, did needlepoint and knitting. He was 6'5" and 300 lbs. and he wasn't afraid to let the world know what he did in his spare time. He even put out books about it. If you dont believe me just Goggle his name.