Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JC Penney sold fabric? >

JC Penney sold fabric?

JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-04-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish
I picked up some fabric at the thrift store today - a green gingham - that still had a JC Penney tag on it. It was apparently a remnant, 1-1/4 yards, with a price of 79 cents. I never knew Penney's had sold fabric - does anybody know when they stopped? I'd like to know if this is a true cotton gingham, too. I'd post a pic, but it's already in the washer. Perhaps later.
I bought enough Pendleton Wool from JC Penneys, for a shirt for my husband in tht early 70s.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:57 PM

In the 1960's almost all dept stores sold fabric. OUCH I'm old
Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM

Yes I do remember too fabric at Winn's and Beall and I think even Dillard's.

Originally Posted by CircleSquare
The only store that wasn't mentioned here was Winns. When my kids were small, in the early 70's, I bought fabric from Winns in El Paso, Texas, to make their clothes. We also had a TG&Y with fabric, and of course KMart. I don't know if Sears was still selling fabric then, because it was near downtown and I had no need to go that far any more.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:25 PM

I used to buy fabric from Penneys, Sprouse-Reitz, Payless and K-Mart.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM

Gee didn't we all learn something new today. I was telling my husband a couple of weeks ago about our Penneys material in our down stairs department. My how time passes us by. But what great memories to share with others and to bring them back to our's that knew.

Thank's for the question.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM

Yes - I remember well the fabric sold at Penneys. As I remember they had nice material for the time. That was back in the 50-60's.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:28 PM

I see I'm showing my age, LOL. Yes, waaay back in the day most department stores sold fabric. I remember buying fabric from JCPenny, Sears, Montgomery Ward. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see a resurgence?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Nzm

I worked part time in the Penneys fabric dept. [among others] in the early 1968 - thru the early 70s in Wisconsin.. Im not sure when they stopped selling fabrics, but they used to have a lot of fabrics and having little girls I was able to take advantage of the 15% discount we used to get as employees on top of the sale or remnant price
Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish
I picked up some fabric at the thrift store today - a green gingham - that still had a JC Penney tag on it. It was apparently a remnant, 1-1/4 yards, with a price of 79 cents. I never knew Penney's had sold fabric - does anybody know when they stopped? I'd like to know if this is a true cotton gingham, too. I'd post a pic, but it's already in the washer. Perhaps later.
Yes, most department stores sold fabric! I bought the fabric for my wedding gown in 1969 at Macy's in Sacaramento. Mervyn's, a popular chain in the west, out of business now, sold fabric when I worked their in 1980. Wards, Sears, Penney's, and many other stores all had fabric. In fact, I learned to sew using 4 yards for $1 fabric from Penney's. It's hard to believe that we went from nearly everyone selling fabric and sewing notions to almost no one! One of my favorite travel stories took place about a year and a half ago. My husband and I were staying in Brian Head, Utah while visiting national parks and would drive into Cedar City to get groceries, gas, etc. While my husband was filling gas, I noticed a sign that said "Fabrics". I hadn't even started quilting yet, but have always been a sewer! I walked back up the street to find a hardward/fabric store. While the hardware portion was much larger than the fabric portion, they had a very nice selection of fabrics and notions. My husband and I both agreed that it was a store that we could both enjoy shopping at. I'm surprised that more small towns don't try this combination. I think it would be quite successful!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 PM

I graduated from high school in '78 and they were still selling fabric then.