Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JC Penney sold fabric? >

JC Penney sold fabric?

JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-05-2011, 02:28 AM

I remember Kresges. We also had a Woolworth that sold fabric. It even had a place to eat. We used to go there after school. Thank you for bringing these memories back.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:38 AM

My first job was at a House of Fabrics. I believe it was called Sofro Fabrics on the east coast. A few months later my best friend was also hired at the store. There was a Penny's directly across the mall from our store, and a Montgomery Wards and Harris' store in the mall. A Mervyn's store was directly out side the mall. We made friends with all of the clerks in the fabric departments at these stores and we all shared our employee discounts when we made purchases in the fabric department. Then they opened a Cloth World a few miles away and my best friend hired on there, so we would be able to get a discount there too! I have such wonderful memories of these people and the fun we had together. One of the perks of working at the store was when the pattern companies discontinued old patterns. We would inventory the pattern numbers off of the envelopes and then the patterns would be discarded in the trash. Our store manager allowed us to take home any discarded patterns for personal use. I kept alot of the craft patterns and I still have many of them and still use them!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:40 AM

I remember TG&Y, Polly. When I moved to Tucson in 1982 I started buying my fabrics there. I think they closed their doors in the mid 80s. I still have some of their fabrics.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Marge L.
Originally Posted by CircleSquare
The only store that wasn't mentioned here was Winns. When my kids were small, in the early 70's, I bought fabric from Winns in El Paso, Texas, to make their clothes. We also had a TG&Y with fabric, and of course KMart. I don't know if Sears was still selling fabric then, because it was near downtown and I had no need to go that far any more.

Did anyone miss Spurgeons?
I remember it as one of the stores my mother used to frequent. But we moved from that town before I had a chance to experience shopping there much.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by maria zamora
I lived in Brownsville, Texas till my 20s. The J C Penney's down town used to sell fabric. I remember they were of very good quality. When the malls came to town all the beautiful old buildings were left empty and the JC Penney's and other stores opened bigger stores at the mall. When that happened the fabric department was gone. I liked the old store better.
I have to agree that the old stores were more to my liking. The mezzanine, the wood floors, so many details that added character to each building. I have tried to talk my DH into buying an old school building in a small town to refurbish and live in, just for the architecture and details. But I doubt it will happen... Sigh. Good thing I can add details to my home by making quilts :thumbup: :lol:
Old 02-05-2011, 05:07 AM

yeah, they sure did---first job I ever had was in the catalog department at JCPenney and they had a wonderful fabric/sewing department. It was back in the 60's & 70's. Ok, so now you can guess how old I am. Seems like another lifetime.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by Marge L.
Originally Posted by CircleSquare
The only store that wasn't mentioned here was Winns. When my kids were small, in the early 70's, I bought fabric from Winns in El Paso, Texas, to make their clothes. We also had a TG&Y with fabric, and of course KMart. I don't know if Sears was still selling fabric then, because it was near downtown and I had no need to go that far any more.

Did anyone miss Spurgeons?
I remember it as one of the stores my mother used to frequent. But we moved from that town before I had a chance to experience shopping there much.
I remember Spurgeons. They had fabric and the best needlework. I think when the towns started building malls, and the big stores went there that's when they quit having fabric and needlework. They wanted to get out of just the working class sales.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 AM

Location: Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I am not sure of the exact year, but in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania it was in the early 70s. I was not a quilter then, but did stock up on fabric at a wonderful savings. Once I started quilting , sewing clothing became a thing of the past. But back then, all the department stores had a fabric department.
Donna
Old 02-05-2011, 05:54 AM

I bought my home ec fabric and supplies at Penneys in 1971. I believe there was still fabric when I left for college in 76. 2 years ago I purchased a box of fabric from a garage sell. Inside was a piece of fabric with the Penneys tag date 1966.
brenda in MI
Old 02-05-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by phatquilts2
Many of the department stores had a fabric section because home sewing was very popular back in that day. Do not remember when those fabric departments were banished.

Does anybody remember the measuring apparatus that was around six inches off of the table? The fabric was pulled through a slit and a round dial gauge with hands like a clock {?]or scale showed the yardage. Then the fabric clerk would push a lever which made a rip in the cloth. The fabric was then torn right in front of you and not cut with a scissors. In the rare instance that the print was all off grain you knew it right away. Anyway that was then and this is now, guess I am dating myself and a popsicle was a nickel. :lol: :roll:
Oh I sure do!!!! I am loving this thread, it has brought back so many memories!!!!