Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting - Purpose? >

Quilting - Purpose?

Quilting - Purpose?

Old 02-05-2011, 06:40 AM

I make my quilts for me because I really like pattern and fabric colors. My DD can fight over the quilts after I am dead.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM

I would never have one good enough to enter into a show. But they are gifted with love and are to be used even if it is a little child who loves it enough to drag it around in the dirt as he/she goes about her/his day.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM

I make mine to give to my family (children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren. That is a part of me that can be shared forever, knowing that I love them. Keeps my sanity, also.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:52 AM

fun, fun, fun!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:00 AM

Mine will never make it in a show, there not perfect. I do it for fun and relaxation. They go to family and friends.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
My quilts would NEVER make it into a show. But they are all made with love and are to be used.
Mine too. They are my therapy, and my something to do when no one is home. Keep me occupied and out of trouble! PLUS, they are so much FUN!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:11 AM

I got started making quilts in 2000. I thought it would be so cool to say that these quilts were made at the "turn of the century". I tell my grandchildren that when they are covered or wrapped up in a quilt that I have made for them it is like getting a hug from MiMi. I enjoy making quilts but it is not relaxing. I have the unique ability to take anything that should be fun and make hard work out of it. I also like to keep a quilt journal. I write about what I am working on and who it is for. Sorry, more than you wanted to know.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 AM

Each quilt I make is for a specific person. That way I can pray over it and them. I'm starting with my grandkids, 13 plus 3 step grandkids. (9 done!) Then I will move to the kids (5 all married). Then my husband gets one (and I may work him in somewhere between the others!). I have tied one top that my mom had pieced because of an error in backing fabric for another quilt, so rather than waste it, I put mom's top on it and got it tied, then bought another backing for the quilt I was working on. So Mom's top pieced will be mine, but it's not bound yet. So wonder if I'll be done when all those quilts are done?? LOL!
So I do it for fun, I do it for a purpose, and its time I spend with God in prayer for each person.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 AM

I make quilts for all of the reasons listed. I make some for the fun of it, others to give away, some for babies, some for entries in shows.
For those of you who say your quilts aren't good enough for shows - let me tell you about a friend of mine who said the same thing last year. We were going to the Sewing Expo in Oshkosh Wisconsin and they give away 2 sewing machines every year and to win one, you have to enter something in the quilt show. Well, she did enter a quilt and she won 1st place!!! She was shocked. This was judged by 3 judges mind you. She was very happy. No, she didn't win a sewing machine, I did, but she was floating on cloud 9 for a very long time.
It really is fun to enter quilts in small shows. Don't be put off if they are judged. The interesting thing about judged shows - is you get a sheet back telling you at least 3 stong points of your work and then a few things you need to work on. It helps you know where to focus your time and effort on. It is a great learning tool.
Not only that, but in some shows you can win either nice money, to support our habit, or a basket full of quilting goodies.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:33 AM

I am so happy to hear all the quilts are being used. Also that some have had small mistakes, I feel so much better. I make mine for the grand kids (7) each one got one as a baby, then for the first BIG bed, the some were for college, weddings, open house (for a new home) Now we have 3 great grand kids and one on the way....so it starts all over again. I never get a atash, but like to shop for material. I do make some for charity and it makes me feel good.