Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JC Penney sold fabric? >

JC Penney sold fabric?

JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-05-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmaAva
In Cleveland, Ohio, the "better" department stores all carried "better" fabric - Higbee's, Halle's, Sterling Lindner, etc.
Here's your laugh for the day~ I grew up in Akron & as soon as I read your post I started thinking "On Halles 7th floor, we'll be waiting for, you to ring the bell" Yep Mr Jing-a-ling!!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dandish
I picked up some fabric at the thrift store today - a green gingham - that still had a JC Penney tag on it. It was apparently a remnant, 1-1/4 yards, with a price of 79 cents. I never knew Penney's had sold fabric - does anybody know when they stopped? I'd like to know if this is a true cotton gingham, too. I'd post a pic, but it's already in the washer. Perhaps later.
In Columbus, Ohio, years ago, that was one of the few places that you could buy fabric. My cousin tells of she and my mother standing and waiting on someone else to put a bolt down so they could get it!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:13 AM

I know they were still selling fabric in Butte, Montana in 1976. I was pregant with my first daughter and bought fabric there to make materinity dresses.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Just to think that years down the road the next generations of quilters and sewers will be talking about the days back when they COULD buy fabric in the stores like WalMart and HObby Lobby, JoAnn's and Hancocks just like we are today! There is nothing like a walk down memory lane.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I remember Mom mail ordering fabric from Sears, Penny's and Montgomery Ward's.
When I was 10, she ordered fabric yardage that they offered that matched the bedspreads she ordered for my room. They had all kinds of different collections that belonged to different items they sold.
I am not sure when they stopped carrying fabric though :D:D:D
I remember buying fabrics from all three of these stores. Also rememer fabric departments at K-Mart as well as WalMart.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:10 AM

I remember going shopping with my grandma in the 60s. We would go to town on Wednesday to buy groceries, and would always make a trip to J.C. Penney to the fabric department. We bought the fabric for my 7th grade home-ec project there. It was nice when department stores actually had lots of departments.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by hilda Vest
Never knew about Penney's, but I do remember when Sears sold fabric.
When I worked at Sears during college in the early 70's, they sold patterns and fabric. Nice stuff, too! Yarn as well.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:23 PM

It's nice to remember all those fine stores and their beautiful fabrics. what I remember best is my Mom treasuring every little piece of fabric she had. Do any of you remember your mother buying flour, sugar, beans, rice etc. in those big 25lb. sacks? Some of those sacks were made of real strong cotton. My mother couldn't let those sacks go to waste. She would pull them apart, wash them and collect four or five of the same pattern. She would make us the most beautiful ruffled dresses. We were three girls so every four months one of us girls would wear a new dress. That's how long it would take her to collect four sacks of the same pattern. I guess this could be another topic.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:29 PM

When I was a little girl we drove about an hour to go to J C Penney in Garland, TX to buy fabric to sew. All the second floor was fabric. I remember the cutting tables and how they ran fabric through a meter that did the measuring and then they cut it. Imagine my surprise when many years later I married and my sweet hubby had a home in Garland. He took me to the Penney store. It was still there, but fabric dept. had already closed. This was in 1973. Memories
Old 02-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Yes, I remember that, so did Sears. My grandmother lived across the street from Sears I remember walking over there with her to buy fabric.