Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JC Penney sold fabric? >

JC Penney sold fabric?

JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-05-2011, 02:34 PM

I worked in the fabric department at Sears during and right after high school. They also had a notions dept which was separate from the fabrics dept, and sold not only thread, zippers, buttons and such, but yarn as well. The fabric dept was Dept. 36 and the Notions Dept was #25.

That was a long, long time ago.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:01 PM

My maternal grandparents lived in the Ozarks of MO. My grandfather had a small dairy farm. Grandpa used to buy his feed at the local general and feed store just down the road from their house. I remember well those cotton feed sacks and my mom taking that fabric home and making me little dresses from them. Guess I'm giving away my age here too, though I do believe I was near the tail end of that era.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:02 PM

Oh my goodness I had forgotten all about those meters. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:39 PM

I remember well when J C Penneys sold fabric as did most other department stores. I wasn't into the quilting yet, but I do remember buying fabrics for making my own clothes. When I first came to Chicago Marshall Fields had a fabric department and sold Singer Sewing Machines as well.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 PM

And speaking of Singer,we used to buy beautiful fabrics at the Singer Sewing Machine shop. Notions, everything.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by GGrammie
I too, remember, material being sold at Penney's Sears, MW. almost every department store sold material. I also remember my mom and neighbors, taking old clothes apart to make things for the kids. We all collected buttons. On rainy days we would amuse ourselves by stringing like buttons together with strings from the meat market.
How things have changed...
I used to love Mom's button box when I was little. She used to take a BiG button and put a doubled string through it somehow and got the button to sit in the middle of the string and then when she pulled on the string in opposite directions the button it would spin. Sounds crazy but we little ones loved it. A real homemade toy.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:48 PM

Oh yes we made those! don't get it too close to your hair though!Ouch!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:58 PM

This has been a wonder trip down Memory Lane. I remember making those puzzles with string and a button. I used the3 biggest I could find. I would play with it until I had broken the string and retied it so much it wouldn't work any longer. I believe the string I used what what came out when taking the string out of the feed sack so it could be washed and ironed. Yes, I wore many of those dresses too. Dried dishes on the white ones. Chicken feed came with a label glued onto a white sack that soaked off real easy. I hemmed a lot of them for my mom to use as dish towels.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 PM

I remember that clock dial measuring thing. I went on a quilters bus trip a while ago, and one of the fabric stores we stopped at actually would tear the fabric for you if you asked which I did, and some of the other women on the trip had no idea why...
Old 02-05-2011, 06:55 PM

I always bought fabric at JC Penny. My mom used to let me buy fabric because I liked to sew at an early age and we got to have sewing class when we were in the 7th grade. So that was in 1958. I think in our store they quit selling in the late 60's early 70's. I used to buy fabric to make some baby clothes.