Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel for batting >

Flannel for batting

Flannel for batting

Old 12-15-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by BarbC
Originally Posted by Jean
I bought it any way and I guess my real question is if I wash and dry it several times should I also wash the main fabrics to? :?
There are debates over prewashng and not prewashing your fabrics. I always prewash. I want it to preshrink and I also want any excess dye to wash out. That said I know many who don't prewash. So it really is up to the quilter.

About flannel... I have used it many times in quilts (I live in Mississippi) and I only prewash it once. Barb C
I think pre-washing it ALL would be best, but that is just my opinion. :)
Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 AM

Hi I too live in Fla. I use flanel sheets all the time. I like the "puffy" look o hand quilting so I do not wash until after it is compleated. I use a product by Shout called color grabber to wash with and I have not had a problem with dye running sence I started using it, not even red,purple of black.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 AM

I have backed a couple of my quilts with fleece and no batting. Just a light weight quiltie but is probably too warm for Florida.

I don't always pre-wash my fabrics but I do use the dye catchers when I do. The one color fabric I always check though is RED! I wonder why when red was the first embroidery floss (redwork) to hold it's dye? (I read that somewhere) Seems like they could fix that with all our modern day advances! (I'm talking high quality fabric as well as the cheaper varieties)
Old 01-04-2007, 11:01 AM

You can use salt in cold water to set dye I use this in levi's to keep the color from fading. Anita
Old 01-04-2007, 12:35 PM

Yep! That's an old remedy my mother always used. That and something with vinegar. According to Good Housekeeping magazine this doesn't work. Well, maybe not but I still think it's worth trying. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:51 AM

I have used salt and vinagir in the past,but find the color grabbers are better if you have several new farbrics and they are all different colors. The salt will set color, but not keep it out of hte wash water and I never wash quilt frabic befor using. I like the effect you get when the batting shrinks and the frabics "puff". I think all of us have a different way of doing tha suits the sewer and that is what makes our quilts "ours" and not factory produce.
Now I have a question. I have several children who are wanting me to teach them to sew. 1 boy and 3 girls so far, all my grands. Does anyone know of any good books aimed at very young sewers? they are all 8( it was a very busy year in my family) I enjoy the forum and all the infomation I a have gotten by reading and chatting.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Boo

I use the "Teach me to Sew" books by Mulligan and Smith. They have pages you can copy and let the kids actually sew on the paper without thread to learn steering. The books also have some fun projects, but I also start them on pillow cases. That way they can actually sleep on the fruits of their labors that same night.
For each pillow case you need:
3/4 yard of main fabric
2 inches of accent fabric
1/4 yard of flap part
Allowing the kids to chose own fabric is part of the fun. I also start them with no thread and lined looseleaf paper. They need to be able to follow lines to get a feel for how the machine works. I have found that little boys just step on the gas and go for it. The girls take more care and are a bit cautious. The books I mentioned also have mazes and games. This gives them confidence with forward, backwards, turning etc.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 AM

sounds perfect. I started them on decrative pillows and and one is just finishing her 1st quilt, 9 nine-patches. I need more direction on how to structure the lessions so I am building blocks instead of haparzid, I am global and lenier thinking is soooooooooooooo difficult for me. I cannot spell either . lol Quiltnurse
Old 01-05-2007, 01:22 PM

I use the salt and cold water, too! Even red holds it's color so well. My husband won't wear new jeans until I was them at least twice in salt water. He doesn't know it's salt water, he thinks I'm magic in keeping new denim from fading on him...

As for flannel for batting, love it love it. I often use flannel to back my fleece blankets, too. I made a friend of mine, living in Tampa, a quilt for her 89th birthday this past fall. I quilted with flannel, she tells me it's perfect weight on her. She's a sewing expert for the last 85 years. I only have 48 years in it.

When I do baby quilts...I often use a knit cotton for the backing, it cleans up easily from baby spills and lasts forever.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:29 PM

Happy New year, everyone! After reading this thread I'm thinking that flannel would be good for other things as well. I'm making table runners and I'm thinking of using flannel for those, either as the batting layer or just lining the runners with flannel. They would not be as thick which I can see as an advantage when things are put on top of them. A lot easier to quilt too.

Judyjo