Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 02-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

I need to try out some of those new types of batting...I've been told that wool quilts up really well, especially tight machine quilting, but I've never used anything but W/N and some Poly for charity kids quilts.

I was thinking about the quilt show and the way we did this quilt. Quite frankly, to me, it is no different than doing some thread painting. You do all of that on the top only, then you quilt...so you will also have stitching on the top that doesn't go through to the back...what would be the difference? It will be interesting to see what the judges would really say about it....probably different opinions from however many people you ask.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:54 PM

BevD - lovely blocks! :thumbup:
Old 02-05-2011, 06:55 PM

Blinky, I ordered my last lot from ebay at AP&Q Bamboo batting. It was from NSW and cost $40.00 + free shipping for a Queen Size quilt - 84" x 100". This was in Australia only though, don't know what international shipping would be.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:11 PM

Bev, I was looking on line and the Bamboo batting isn't cheap like the wool. Now I am down to the Thermore or Wool :roll: I have never used the wool yet but have a package of it. Tomorrow I will open it and check it out....and try to make a decision. I plan to go to the Quilt Show in Paducah the end of April. I am sure they will have the Bamboo batting there and at least I won't have to pay shipping. I am trying to make a decision before Monday so that I will be able to take the blocks I have finished with me when I go out of town and I will be able to start quilting them. :-)
Old 02-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Blinky, yes I found that being able to take them with me on holiday I still got my sewing fix as my husband won't let me take my sewing machine :(. They are small enough to do this and I have been sorting them in a small tub with finished blocks and a tub with blocks to quilt, that way I can just take the small tub with needles, thread and small scissors already to go.

Shemjo, just finished posting pics in the older area by week, might just give people the urge again....never know.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 PM

WooHoo! I am off to check them out! Thanks.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 AM

Great to hear all the excitement about this again. With a bit of luck will post my finished centre today, just a bit later, need to sew the sashings together. I am so excited that I have nearly finished the centre now.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Blinky
Hi Lesley,

I am like you...would like to enter a quilt in a Show for once but can't seem to get one finished that I could enter. I was wondering if the judges would except a quilt done with the technique we are using for DJ as far as quilting it in the layers like we are or will do it in. I would think it would be more excepted if it were done with hand quilting in the ditch? I don't know...I am new at this. I really like your technique! I do think my hand quilting stitches improved with different batting. I used a real thin batting last time. Hobbs Thermore. It is so thin it is like not having anything in-between. You can get your backing stitches better! I don't know what I will use next...I have some Quilters Dream that I have never used and people say it is wonderful for hand quilting. I think it is queen size....so my question is for the technique we are using for DJ will there be more waste of batting? I am thinking that if you are careful you won't really waste? I will have to check measurements on the Queen batting that I have and also the measurement on the DJ quilt to see if it will be enough. Worst case I could go ahead and start with this Quilter's Dream batting and if I run out just get more...and that will work because I will be just using it in pieces. I am thinking out loud Lesley :roll: You know what I think you may need to patent your technique :thumbup:
Elizabeth, I doubt very much if I have had a totally new idea with the quilting, there is bound to be someone else out there that did it before me = this quilt just seemed to be suited to doing it this way. The only drawback to me was to have to tidy up the back of the top, by sewing the edges of the batting together, but at least it could be roughly done as it will never be seen.

Patti, I get what you mean! What a good idea - so we shouldn't be penalised for having less quilting on the back compared to the front. I suppose I will have to be a pioneer and test out the theory.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BevD
Blinky, yes I found that being able to take them with me on holiday I still got my sewing fix as my husband won't let me take my sewing machine :(. They are small enough to do this and I have been sorting them in a small tub with finished blocks and a tub with blocks to quilt, that way I can just take the small tub with needles, thread and small scissors already to go.

Shemjo, just finished posting pics in the older area by week, might just give people the urge again....never know.
Bev, if you are staying in a hotel, I always take a high amp light bulb with me too, because the ones in the hotel bedrooms are generally fairly low. I have even resorted to removing the lampshade to get more light for my sewing. Just a thought if there is room for one in your tub.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:29 AM

Great idea Lesley, never even thought of that.
Can't do a thing without my glasses and yep light is a major factor, but spoke to my DH about it and he will actually.....give...yes give me a small bendable LED clip on light that will actually fit on the side of the tub from his shed. Wow, tub's only about 8" wide x 12" long and 3" high not too big but perfect to fit what I need.