Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
OBW Dragon (and a couple others) Octagon >

OBW Dragon (and a couple others) Octagon

OBW Dragon (and a couple others) Octagon

Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR
How did you do the pink one?
all corners are the zebra fabric and every other octagon is half zebra (every other one) and half pink slices (all done just like a regular OBW). Does that make sense?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:21 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Karen K
all corners are the zebra fabric and every other octagon is half zebra (every other one) and half pink slices (all done just like a regular OBW). Does that make sense?
For a minute there I thought you were talking to yourself! :lol:

I plan on trying this one day, so long as you don't mind. :-D I love the cathedral window effect. :-D
Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
For a minute there I thought you were talking to yourself! :lol:

I plan on trying this one day, so long as you don't mind. :-D I love the cathedral window effect. :-D
Yeah, kinda funny .... Karen K/Karen R ... maybe we are just talking to ourselves? Anyway, I would be thrilled to have you try one! Just as long as you promise to post a pic! I have another one going that I am doing in between projects, but I'm not wild about it ... the second fabric has become more of a focal fabric than I wanted ... It is too much the same color as the big print fabric so really blends a lot. I'll post pics as I get further into it, but it is very hard to tell how it will look until you are already committed! Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Now I'm intrigued... question, the blocks that you put the second fabric in, thereby only using 4 of your 8 segments - do you only cut 4 layers to start with or do you cut the 8 then split them between two blocks, giving 2 blocks the same? Nosy aren't I? LOL

EDIT and if there are pairs of blocks, do you get a prize if you can spot them, like the pairs card game my kids play? :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-07-2011, 03:14 AM

I like the graphic drama of the dragons. I have a friend that made a OBW with-get this Laurel Burch Jungle Panels. Just gorgeous!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:43 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
I like the graphic drama of the dragons. I have a friend that made a OBW with-get this Laurel Burch Jungle Panels. Just gorgeous!
Just googled those! My LQS has them on her website! Gorgeous is right! :-D
Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Now I'm intrigued... question, the blocks that you put the second fabric in, thereby only using 4 of your 8 segments - do you only cut 4 layers to start with or do you cut the 8 then split them between two blocks, giving 2 blocks the same? Nosy aren't I? LOL

EDIT and if there are pairs of blocks, do you get a prize if you can spot them, like the pairs card game my kids play? :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
For the pink and black quilt I use all 8 layers and split them and yes, there are duplicates, but, because I did NOT properly layer (on purpose) the zebra fabric, the duplicates are only the pink blocks! I am making a second two fabric quilt and there wasn't enough left to do a true OBW so I am only using 4 layers for the ones that I am short!! So, either way would work! Prizes are always good!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 AM

I'm definitely into drama. My first quilt was bull fighters and flamenco dancers, but I didn't have enough sense to take a picture of the original fabric which was a little obnoxious! I used a panel on my one OBW hexagon I made and I loved it! Panels are already in the strips they need to be in and make it faster to pin together (I think) Makes for a lot more variations too!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 AM

wow!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I'm definitely into drama. My first quilt was bull fighters and flamenco dancers, but I didn't have enough sense to take a picture of the original fabric which was a little obnoxious! I used a panel on my one OBW hexagon I made and I loved it! Panels are already in the strips they need to be in and make it faster to pin together (I think) Makes for a lot more variations too!
Just saw someone on another thread say a friend had used a Laurel Burch jungle panel - I googled and think it would be awesome! http://www.beccasquiltemporium.com/e...91lMbvzG4DKHTA

Sorry it's an ENORMOUS link!!! :shock: :lol:

Doh! It was on THIS thread! And I'm too young for senior moments! Anyway, there's a pic half way down on the left. I want to go and get six and give it a go! :-D