Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JC Penney sold fabric? >

JC Penney sold fabric?

JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

Wow. I would like to know the answer to that myself.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish
I picked up some fabric at the thrift store today - a green gingham - that still had a JC Penney tag on it. It was apparently a remnant, 1-1/4 yards, with a price of 79 cents. I never knew Penney's had sold fabric - does anybody know when they stopped? I'd like to know if this is a true cotton gingham, too. I'd post a pic, but it's already in the washer. Perhaps later.
yep, it's true, jcp had nice fabric. if you got a good sale, the price generally was 5yds/$1. my mom was a seamstress/tailor/quilt maker and never passed up these buys. i still have some of her cards of buttons and other misc sewing notions on the cards. i miss her and jcp. at that time...1950's and 60's, every store except grocery stores, sold all sorts of sewing needs. thread was about 7-10 cents per spool and it hurt when the price increased to 17 cents per spool. if you paid more than $1/yd for fabric, it was a luxury and polished cotton was truly a luxury.
in highschool choir, all members had to have matching dresses made from pink polished cotton and mom saved 50 cents from her grocery allowance of $12/week until she had enough to purchase the fabric. of course, my dress was the prettiest.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 AM

Penneys carried good fabric-I remember buying several pieces for dresses and pants outfits-good suedes and lovely silky fabrics that draped so nicely for those flowy dresses we wore back in the 70's. I graduated from high school in 1974 and purchased my last fabric there in 1976.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 AM

My mom worked for the Penney's in Birminham,Al in the 80's in the fabric department. She was there when they phase out the department. It really broke her heart it was the first time she had worked outside the home and working in the fabric department was a dream come true. She made all our clothes, even shirts for by brothers and dad. She got a great discount on what she bought and got first look at all the new pattens and fabrics. When they closed she was able to buy those great cabinets that they put pattens in for 5$ each. It was a sad sad day when the closed the dept.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 AM

Yes, J.C. Penney did sell fabrics in the 60's and 70's. I may still have some in my stash, but maybe not. I only bought fabrics for my children's clothing back then. I hadn't started quilting back then.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Wow what a memory flash back... I remember when I learned to sew from one of my best friends Aunt's when we were in the 7th grade, and my mom took me to JC Penney to pick out fabric to make my first dress, I continued to sew in 8th grade and then 2 years of home edu in high school, I graduated in 1979 and JC Penney's was still selling their fabric until a Hancock Fabric's opened up. Still sewing but now a quilter of 9 months. Thanks for the great reminder of fabric shopping with my mom. Smiles
Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 PM

They stopped selling fabs many moons ago
at least 40 years ago. HUmme thinking maybe 45 years ago, anyway LONGGGGG time ago... you prob got an antique piece of fabric. Also payless used to sell fabs also many moons ago.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM

It's been a while but they did sell fabric. I was going through some old stuff of my Mothers and found a spool of thread that had a Penny's label and a price of 29 cents so it has been a while. Long while.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Yep
I don't have anything left from that store, but a lot of my stash is from stores that stopped selling fabric.
K-mart, Bargain City, Pennys, Woolworths
Thanks for the memories. Since the accident, every once in a while a memory reappears and gets reshelved (I didn't lose memories, they just got dropped off their shelf) I don't think I've ever thought of this since it happened, but now I can see it all
Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Yes, J C. Penneys sold fabric. They use to have a large fabric department...how do I know, because I worked in our local Penneys in NE Ohio for several years when my daughter was very young...it had to be late 60,s early 70,s. I know it was a long time since they have had fabric...... :wink: