Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok, if I am going to be best friends...... >

Ok, if I am going to be best friends......

Ok, if I am going to be best friends......

Old 02-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Minnisewta
The one I have folds into it's self. I hate the ones with covers, always looking for the cover.
You could do what I do: Get a new one and promptly lose the cover, then you don't need to worry about it any more!!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 PM

Hate those things mine is always mislaid.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Because I am an authority on "unsewing", i am qualified to recommend the very best seam rippers. My Bernina slips through those stitches like butter...most everytime I turn my sewing machine on, I get to use it. The other ripper that I really like is Alex Anderson's 4 in one tool. It is a big wooden thing that has a pokey, seam ripper, wooden presser and something else. They feel the same when I am using them so they may be manufactured the same company. Remember I am a total expert on this subject. :)
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM

I have 4 that I use frequently. I have had them for years but for some reason I use them a lot more lately!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 PM

I agree with Jan. I have several brands (I'm good friends with several 'Jacks') and I like the Clover brand best. Even the one that Rusty got hold of that now has teeth marks in the handle! Actually he was protecting me from 'Jack'!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 PM

Sounds like the one I have. A little expensive but fits my hand good and has a curved replacable blade. Around 30.00
Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 PM

I like my Fons and Porter one, but it rolls too easily and falls off the table. Grrr. I love the Clover one, too, but it doesn't come with a good cover. I lose the little flat plastic cover immediately. Anyone else have that problem?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 PM

I just broke my newest seam ripper cutting hair off the rollers on my vacuum cleaner! The thought of a scalpel seam ripper gives me the heebie jeebies even though a rotary blade doesn't and I have on occasion used an open cutter for long rip outs. For short rip outs I just use whatever is in the bowl of pins.
I think I will try a "CLOVER" since so many have mentioned it....
Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 PM

I have so enjoyed this "ripper" discussion tonight. I can just hear my home ec teacher saying, " girls, girls, no mistakes, no repairs". it is still funny to me. thankful for the "ripper"
Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
When ripping seams I use a mans mustache trimmer. The one I use is a Wahl brand -it fits my hand. For long seams I have a "third hand" (a little tool that fastens to your table and has a clamp on it to hold one end of the fabric. I think I've seen them called a sewing bird) You can find these in needlework catalogs. Or get your significant other to hold the other end. grin
You just slide the blade down the seam and it clips the threads. Sure saves time when a person messes up a border seam.
I bought one of these (the mustache trimmer) at the Houston Quilt Show a couple of years ago. I LOVE IT!!!!