Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts arent appreciated? >

Quilts arent appreciated?

Quilts arent appreciated?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:25 AM

I give quilts to people I think will appreciate them and use them. Everyone I have gifted a quit to, is that kind of person. My mom, who loves her dogs and lets them go anywhere, won't let her dogs on the quilt I made for her when she uses it. lol I told her it's ok for the dogs to go on the quilt -- it's meant to be used -- but she says "NO NO NO! It is beautiful and perfect and you worked so hard on this. I might not know exactly what goes into making a quilt, but I know it takes time, money and effort. I won't have them ruining it." I guess they like to "dig" into blankets to get comfy and she's afraid they will tear it. :) I think it's sweet and a bit silly...but I appreciate, so much, the love she has for it.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 AM

I have only given quilts, or handmade things to my family & close friends so I feel that they were appreciated. As I look back over the past however, I realize that I did not truly appreciate handmade things until I started making things myself. My Mother was a truly gifted seamstress, but as a child I longed for "store boughten" clothes. I now realize how fortunate I was, to have such a talented Mother.

Rosella
Old 02-08-2011, 06:56 AM

My daughter and one brother appreciate my quilts the rest of the family could care less. I have a future son in law in the makings and he told me he loves quils and I told him good, I'm running out of people to give them to that like them. He brought me 6 yards of fabric to make him a quilt, going to be a good son in law.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 AM

My DDIL wanted to learn to make a quilt. So I taught her on one. she did finish it but said no no not for me too much work and it takes too long....To make a long story short.she is my PR person, she brings visitors to my room and pulls out my quilts or the one I am working on and points out the smallest detail and talks about how long it takes and how expensive the fabric is,,,,,If I do one compleatly by hand ,she grabs it and puts it away and says no one gets this one unless they pay several thousand dollars. ......
Old 02-08-2011, 07:13 AM

Every year, I make a quilt for my family reunion, which is raffled off to help pay for the next year's reunion. Each year, there is an "argument" between whoever won the quilt, and another person who thought they should have had it
(because their ticket was just one number away, or because they were wearing a shirt that matched the colors in the quilt, etc). Point of the story is that they do appreciate the time and effort that goes into the quilt, and they get a hand-made quilt for $5.
Other than that, I will make a quilt if the recipient pays for the materials and decides on the pattern. That makes them understand that quilts are time and work intensive, but the finished product is worth it.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
My daughter and one brother appreciate my quilts the rest of the family could care less. I have a future son in law in the makings and he told me he loves quils and I told him good, I'm running out of people to give them to that like them. He brought me 6 yards of fabric to make him a quilt, going to be a good son in law.
treasure that boy. he's a keeper!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 AM

Deema,the best gift you could ever give your Mom is a copy of your post....with a short explanation of the subject.I guarantee she'll save it all her life,& will never forget what you said.The quilt will come in 2nd :) You could even mail it,but take my word for it, she'll love every word.

Originally Posted by deema
I give quilts to people I think will appreciate them and use them. Everyone I have gifted a quit to, is that kind of person. My mom, who loves her dogs and lets them go anywhere, won't let her dogs on the quilt I made for her when she uses it. lol I told her it's ok for the dogs to go on the quilt -- it's meant to be used -- but she says "NO NO NO! It is beautiful and perfect and you worked so hard on this. I might not know exactly what goes into making a quilt, but I know it takes time, money and effort. I won't have them ruining it." I guess they like to "dig" into blankets to get comfy and she's afraid they will tear it. :) I think it's sweet and a bit silly...but I appreciate, so much, the love she has for it.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 AM

When my sons got married (have four), I told them they would get the quilts, not their wives. And if the marriage didn't work out (two didn't) they were to take possession of the quilts. It's the only way to keep them in the family.

Sandy
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 AM

i would hope the recipient would appreciate the time and love that went into making it. That is why i take the time to know what people like and give a gift accordingly. I would cry if i spent time on a hand appliqued quilt to find out somebody was just throwing it in the mud! I might as well just buy one from Walmart and give it to them instead.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:11 AM

I've been working on 4 quilts now for 2 years. They are going to my grandchildren. I think it's been taking me so long because I know they will not appreciate them. I've decided when they each turn 18 that's when I will give them out. I hope that helps with them taking better care of then and that I'm still around to do it. LOL