Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger?? >

Serger??

Serger??

Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 AM

I used to sell singers also. If it is the bottom end the blade comes down from the top instead of up from the bottom and makes it harder to see the needle area. It is very tempramental and difficult to thread.

I would go with a store that is going to provide training and support for whichever serger you select. It's not like a sewing machine, they are not all threaded alike. They do not all sew alike. Some have differential feed, some don't. Some have self ajusting tesion, some don't. Some come with a one year warranty, others with just 90 days.

Trying to learn the serger with no support or training would be like trying to climb a mountain when you've been training for a spelling bee.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN
I used to sell singers also. If it is the bottom of the line model the blade comes down from the top instead of up from the bottom and makes it harder to see the needle area. It is very tempramental and difficult to thread.

I would go with a store that is going to provide training and support for whichever serger you select. It's not like a sewing machine, they are not all threaded alike. They do not all sew alike. Some have differential feed, some don't. Some have self ajusting tesion, some don't. Some come with a one year warranty, others with just 90 days.

Trying to learn the serger with no support or training would be like trying to climb a mountain when you've been training for a spelling bee.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 AM

I used to sell singers also. If it is the bottom end the blade comes down from the top instead of up from the bottom and makes it harder to see the needle area. It is very tempramental and difficult to thread.

I totally agree. They can be nasty little boogers sometimes. I practiced on scrapes forever to get tension right. It also changes with different fabrics.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:09 AM

I totally agree. They can be nasty little boogers sometimes. I practiced on scrapes forever to get tension right. It also changes with different fabrics.
I totally agree. They can be nasty little buggers sometimes. I practiced on scrapes till I got the tension right. It also changes with different fabrics.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 AM

make sure it threads itself
Old 02-08-2011, 10:25 AM

I have a Janome & a Bernina, I keep one threaded with light colored threads & one with dark colored threads. Both are 3-4 threads and work great. I like the weight of one to be heavier if I am using bulky fabric. They get going so fast the heavier it is stays in place better! My first one was a $40 one from Walmart that worked but would jump all over the place needed a clamp to hold it down. I gave it away to someone who didn't know whether they would ever use a serger, but interested in trying.
Debs wishing I had more time to play on them!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 AM

I have a Brother serger & like it alot. If I had to get another one, I would get a Babylock from a dealer. So I suggest buying from a dealer because usually they give free lessons. If you have never used a serger, you will need the lessons. The pictures in the books are okay, but hands on from an instructor is better.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:31 PM

I just chose a Janome 204D! The dealer matched the price on ebay which saved me $100, guaranteed the warranty, and gave me a go-to source of help. I love it! I have been serging like crazy for days and am happy as can be. Everyone is so scared of threading, but it is very easy with this one...just follow the color codes. My other machines are Janome, and I am delighted with them, so figured I would get their serger too, and am really happy with my choice.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Haven't touched my serger in over 15 years. Now I'm afraid to because I would have to learn all over again.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 PM

IMHO, the trick is choose a machine you like, read the manual, study it, and make a committment to use every feature it possesses. I have a 20+ year old Singer 3-thread I use when I need speed! It will also do a rolled hem edge. No problems ever. Must be threaded right to left in sequence to make a stitch. I think I've gotten my $150 worth and still going.