Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No stash -- on purpose?? >

No stash -- on purpose??

No stash -- on purpose??

Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
Does anyone not have a stash -- ON PURPOSE???? I just finished talking with a co-worker who is also a quilter, and she told me that she doesn't have a stash. She said she used to but found it too depressing to go into her sewing area and see all the -- what she termed -- unfinished projects (meaning the fabric in the stash that has not been used). She only buys fabric when she has a specific project she will be making. She brought in a quilt to show me that she had made for her nephew when he was young. She said she had taken a class for that particular quilt, and when she was finished, she asked if anyone wanted her leftover fabric. The women were agast that she didn't want to keep it to add to her stash. They were even more amazed that she had chosen NOT to have a stash. :| When she does see fabric that strongly appeals to her, she will purchase it and make the quilt right away. Get this: she used to work at a fabric store!!! Once upon a time I worked for Minnesota Fabrics, and I could not resist buying fabrics as we would get in a new collection!!! I don't know how she does it!!! She certainly has much more willpower than me!!! :roll: I do have a stash. It's not huge, and I "shop" from it first when gathering fabrics for a quilt. If I don't have something that will work for the quilt, then I will go shopping for what I need. :wink:

So-o-o-o the question is: do you not have a stash -- ON PURPOSE?? :?
I'm too weak willed not to have a stash.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:08 PM

I would die with no stash !!! Just bury me :cry:
Old 01-18-2011, 04:06 PM

Or as my DH has suggested, I could be wrapped in it after I pass away - modern day mummy, if you will. But, hopefully, it won't come to that! :)
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieH
I'm working on it as a newish quilter. Love my two underbed boxes and intend expanding! Don't tell my DH!
One year at the LQS, I saw a cup with some writing on it. When I told my DH about the cup, he sort of laughed, so the next day - - I went back and bought the cup, brought it home and put it in a very special place.
It says: My husband says I can keep all the fabric I can hide!

I am a VERY good hider! ;-) <wave>
Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by AnnieH
I'm working on it as a newish quilter. Love my two underbed boxes and intend expanding! Don't tell my DH!
One year at the LQS, I saw a cup with some writing on it. When I told my DH about the cup, he sort of laughed, so the next day - - I went back and bought the cup, brought it home and put it in a very special place.
It says: My husband says I can keep all the fabric I can hide!

I am a VERY good hider! ;-) <wave>
WTG!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 AM

At this point, my small stash is "money in the bank", because I am only able to buy when I find a really great sale. Other than that, I tend to re-purpose...
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 AM

I am just starting back to sewing from about a 22 year dry spell. (just retired) I don't have a stash and don't have much room for storage. So, I guess I am a non stasher. I will purchase the fabric when I have a plan or design. I am working on my second quilt now. I will keep my left over scraps in case I want to make something small for my granddaughters' dolls, etc.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:50 PM

I'm slowly getting rid of my 20 year stash by giving fabric to friends and donating to charity auctions and/or guilds. My problem is that I ended up with years worth of "wonder" fabric (wonder why I ever bought it)!

My taste has changed over the years -- at times I loved 30's reproductions and calico prints; then I went to Amish solids; next I fell in love with bright Blank Quiting fabric, etc. etc. etc.

The problem was that I never had quite enough for whatever pattern I wanted to use (too much of one and not enough of others). So now my plan is to buy only what is specific for the intended pattern - keeping a small stash for emergencies.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
can you imagine the good stuff people must throw away. I mean throw in the trash. They don't even try to give it away to neighbors or friends or the thrift shop. They are to lazy and just toss it.
I beg to differ - I do not save "stuff" because someday someone might have some use maybe sorta. That just leads to clutter lying around and I have enough of that! It also leads to what my sisters have to do - rent storage places for all the "stuff" that someone might want someday maybe.

So I toss lots of "stuff", good and otherwise.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:12 PM

I bet she doesn't "collect" anything else either. We are collectors not just compulsive shoppers. I still say it is cheaper than therapy.