Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011  NEW >

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Pinwheel Project to start Feb 10, 2011 NEW

Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 AM

why is everyone in such a hurry. At this rate when we are suppose to start everyone will be done.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Thank you Shelly for making that clear. Often my fingers are faster than my brain. LOL
Originally Posted by hoppyfrog
Originally Posted by Love to stitch
You just have to remember when making 1/2 sq triangles you have to cut your pieces larger.
Here's an example: The charms I had on hand were just under 6" more like 5 3/4" so I used the sew around method. When all were sewn together I trimmed them down to 6 1/2"
:) :) :) :)
Old 02-08-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ceil
Is there a way of determining how many pinwheels per yard of fabric? I know it will vary by the size of the pinwheel but is there a general rule, say for 5 inches and 10 inches so that I can make a guess at how much fabric I'll need for a lap sized quilt? I'm guessing two yards but that might not be enough.
Well, we have to go to your formula!

For a 5" unfinished you would start with 2 - 4.5" squares.
So if your fabric is 36x42 you would get 8 across and 9 of 72 blocks of which half would be light and half dark. So a yard would give you 36 pinwheels. Two yards would be 72 pinwheels.
So I yard of each or to be on the safe size I'd get 1 1/4 yds of two different fabrics for 72 pinwheels at 5" finished.
So 7x10 5" pinwheels or 35"x50" plus borders for a lap quilt.

For 10" (9 1/2" finished) you would need 8" squares.
36x42 = 4x5 or 20 squares or 10 pinwheels.
So 3 yards of light would give you 60 8" squares
and 3 yards of dark would give you 60 8" squares
So 6 yards would give you 60 pinwheels.
So if you want your quilt about 66 x 85 then a border or two
You would need 63 pinwheels 9.5" finished.
I'd get 3.5 yds light and 3.5 yds dark to get the 63 pinwheels and have some left over for mistakes.

The best thing for you to do is to decide on a size of the quilt,
then the size of the pinwheel
then figure out how big of blocks to cut!

IMO The bigger the quilt the bigger the block you start with!

Edit: I reread your post and you did say lap quilt! Sorry but I will leave the other info for someone else!

:-D
Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 PM

I really have to laugh out loud here..Since starting making the pinwheel blocks I have had 4 request to make family members a quilt using them...If they only knew how slow I am especially since I hand quilt :P
Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Is there a way of determining how many pinwheels per yard of fabric? I know it will vary by the size of the pinwheel but is there a general rule, say for 5 inches and 10 inches so that I can make a guess at how much fabric I'll need for a lap sized quilt? I'm guessing two yards but that might not be enough.
Well, we have to go to your formula!

For a 5" unfinished you would start with 2 - 4.5" squares.
So if your fabric is 36x42 you would get 8 across and 9 of 72 blocks of which half would be light and half dark. So a yard would give you 36 pinwheels. Two yards would be 72 pinwheels.
So I yard of each or to be on the safe size I'd get 1 1/4 yds of two different fabrics for 72 pinwheels at 5" finished.
So 7x10 5" pinwheels or 35"x50" plus borders for a lap quilt.

For 10" (9 1/2" finished) you would need 8" squares.
36x42 = 4x5 or 20 squares or 10 pinwheels.
So 3 yards of light would give you 60 8" squares
and 3 yards of dark would give you 60 8" squares
So 6 yards would give you 60 pinwheels.
So if you want your quilt about 66 x 85 then a border or two
You would need 63 pinwheels 9.5" finished.
I'd get 3.5 yds light and 3.5 yds dark to get the 63 pinwheels and have some left over for mistakes.

The best thing for you to do is to decide on a size of the quilt,
then the size of the pinwheel
then figure out how big of blocks to cut!

IMO The bigger the quilt the bigger the block you start with!

Edit: I reread your post and you did say lap quilt! Sorry but I will leave the other info for someone else!

Doesn't it seem crazy that to get a finished 4.5 inch pinwheel you start with two 4.5 pieces? (It almost seems silly!) So basically I would need double the amount of fabric as the area I want to cover for small pinwheels and less than double for larger pinwheels due to less fabric lost in the seams? I guess that would work as a rule of thumb if I only want to make a runner or table topper too. I have a lot of 1 yard pieces and they won't make it unless I combine them to get a 3-4 color lap quilt. I was hoping to use 1 yard of off white and another yard of something else. I'm glad this hasn't officially started yet! I know some people can wing it, but I have to plan ahead.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
I really have to laugh out loud here..Since starting making the pinwheel blocks I have had 4 request to make family members a quilt using them...If they only knew how slow I am especially since I hand quilt :P
Well, I think it is time you get out the sewing machine and start machine quilting. Hand quilting is wonderful, but these things are meant to be a speedy alternative to HSTs. If I tried hand sewing them, they would be such a mess from over-handling they wouldn't be fit to assemble into a quilt.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Whew! I've never pressed so many blocks so many times! Seems like the pinwheels need every seam pressed & pressed good.Been so long since I made these before,didn't remember all the pressing involved.

What type quilting will you all do/have done on pinwheels?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Hi. The previously posted pinwheel project by brush&thimble was canceled so I am starting another here.

Swan Song did one on 9 patch blocks and it was so successful we will use (steal) her idea doing pinwheels.

The idea is to make one pinwheel block a day for a certain length of time!
That doesn't sound hard does it?

There is no swapping involved, just make for your own self and come here to encourage others. This is for all quilting levels.

I am only using fabric from my stash for a stash buster quilt but you don't have to do that.

You make your pinwheels anyway you want. I am trying the method where you put blocks on top of each other, sew 1/4" around the outside edge and cut on each diagonal. (X) Then sew the block together and square up the block.

You could also put two blocks together and draw a diagonal line and then sew 1/4" on both sides of the line and cut apart then square up the blocks and sew 4 together to make the block.
5" charm squares would be good.

If we start on Feb 10th and end April 30th we should be able to make 78 blocks. If you need more blocks than that, take more time or occasionally make two a day.

Any one want to join me in making pinwheels?

:-D :-D
I have been trying, but am having trouble getting the points to meet in the middle..I use the squares with the 1/4" seam all around the cut thru from corner to corner. Havent gotten a good one yet...any suggestions?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Doesn't it seem crazy that to get a finished 4.5 inch pinwheel you start with two 4.5 pieces? (It almost seems silly!) So basically I would need double the amount of fabric as the area I want to cover for small pinwheels and less than double for larger pinwheels due to less fabric lost in the seams? I guess that would work as a rule of thumb if I only want to make a runner or table topper too. I have a lot of 1 yard pieces and they won't make it unless I combine them to get a 3-4 color lap quilt. I was hoping to use 1 yard of off white and another yard of something else. I'm glad this hasn't officially started yet! I know some people can wing it, but I have to plan ahead.
Yes, it does seem silly! You could take that one yard of fabric and put it together with the other yard and have a quilt but what would be the fun of that? It always amazes me how much fabric is wasted in seams. If you have white and off white in your stash you could mix with 2 patterns and I think that would be pretty! if the two patterns would go together or not, think scrappy!

I'm like you, I NEED a plan but I am flexible! I don't always follow the first plan but I need one! I figure it's never to late to change the plan until the quilt is finished!

Don't start with something you don't like or you will never finish!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by janb
I have been trying, but am having trouble getting the points to meet in the middle..I use the squares with the 1/4" seam all around the cut thru from corner to corner. Havent gotten a good one yet...any suggestions?
Try to press the center seams open instead of to one side. There's less bulk in the middle that way and the seams will line up easier.