Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your help >

I need your help

I need your help

Old 02-08-2011, 06:46 AM

Do you use a special fabric in order to keep the photo from washing away in the first wash or is there some process to make the photo permanent. My printer ink is water soluble and my photo washed away.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by kwheeler
Do you use a special fabric in order to keep the photo from washing away in the first wash or is there some process to make the photo permanent. My printer ink is water soluble and my photo washed away.
I used photo fabric sheets that I got from Cjenkinscompany. After printing you iron the fabric with a dry iron and then soak it in cold water for one minute. It is supposed to fix the ink. I haven't washed these yet, so I hope it works!! Friends have used these fabric sheets and recommend them saying they wash well. I hope so!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:30 PM

After printing the paper I soak in water then used a dry iron to dry and set the ink. Instruction were on the package.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:52 PM

Thanks so much for the information. :D
Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

Wow. I'm with you I am stumped but I'm sure you will find help here.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 PM

you could use 2 1/2 inch sash of diferent colors around each one or 2 colors on each block, that would give you a 4 inch sash around each block.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:47 PM

You have lots of great suggestions here. I just wanted to say what a great idea for your GS. He will love it & cherish it forever.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:09 AM

it's going to be so very beautiful and he is sure to enjoy
Old 02-17-2011, 03:29 PM

This reminds me of a t-shirt quilt....I was just on a cruise and one of the teachers was Winnie Fleming...She did a free lecture about t-shirt quilts....Most are just the section of the shirt where the picture/whatever is and all are cut the same size...She decided that after several quilts done this way, that they were boring...She decided to use 1/2 square triangles, 4 patch squares, and flying geese to border these pictures cut from the shirts...you can have all different sizes of pictures...you just use these borders to make them work together...say if the largest is 8x10 and you add a border that is 1 1/2 inches finished...then that total is what you go by to finish the rest...you can use several framed and sewn together to equat that larger square or rect....if they don't line up you can then add a solid strip to the smaller piece....you then sew them in strips and then together...then put on your borders...They looked wonderful...It just goes to show you that it isn't you cookie cutter t-shirt quilt....I know this isn't a t-shirt but same idea...Good luck! Don't know if Winnie has a web site but you could check...she does have patterns that are sold thru Quakertown Quilts, Inc in Friendswood, Texas...Winnie lives in Friendswood....
Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM

I agree with making them look old with the black corners. I did that on a memory quilt. What a difference it makes. As far as the outside border, I would use blue,the colorof the water and a tan color,like one of the buildings. That way he could grow with it and wouldn't look to babyish by next year. I hope you aren't offended by this. Its not like it sounds.