Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM

Yes,Laulync, I will try to post the blocks. But like I said, I have ripped out everyone...duh on me...however, once I redo them, I will certainly try and post some pictures. Really, I am not a quitter normally and was once told that I had a great deal of determination. Guess I'll just have to tap into it now. Also, on another note, this has not been the best of times for me. My very favourite, and beloved kitty passed away yesterday and I am deep in grief. Sounds crazy, but I just can't help it. I've lost parents, favourite uncle, other dear pets, friends, but this has hit me hard. I think maybe it's because it was my 63rd birthday on Friday and I'm feeling closer to the end. Oh my, how morbid. Please forgive me for dumping on you all like this, but sometimes you just have to do what has to be done to keep your sanity.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM

That is so sad! Don't measure yourself against others!

They are NOT you!!!

Keep going - learn as you go along and NEVER rip out a block, unless its the usual little bit of reverse sewing we all do now and again - and now - and again, and now - and again........... LOL!!

Like the others have said - you will look back and learn and smile at that quilt one day. Do NOT let the investment and competition element of others get to you - YOUR reason for doing it is to learn - I am sure THEY respect that and offer lots of support and encouragement.

KEEP GOING !!! PLEASE - Post us Pictures so we can spur you on!!!

p.s. Just read your last post - I am a MASSIVE cat fan so you have my sincere sympathy for the kitty. (((HUGS)) BUT that is not a reason to stop QUILTING!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:31 PM

MissBarkey-have you seen this video? It is so encouraging. That no matter what......we can over come!
Someone else posted it on here but I wanted to share it with you. Keep going-you can do it. I also sent you a pm. Hugs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lfaSmDxVZQ
Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

I would not give up on this venture. Since the owner is accommodating I'm sure she will give you the help you need. Maybe you can't keep up with the others but that's okay!
Good luck, and don't quit! :D
Old 02-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Try to look at it as a great opportunity for you to learn from all of the other ladies. Even the best quilters rip out plenty of seams! Babies fall down lots before those first precious steps. Good Luck and keep going.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 PM

I think it was Albert Einstein (and if not, I apologize to the author) who said, "the only people who have made no mistakes are those who have tried nothing," or words to that effect.
Don't be so hard on yourself. We all had to start somewhere. If your first quilt were perfect, there would be no room for improvement.

Enjoy the journey.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:51 PM
RST

Since you describe it as a nice and supportive group -- try to hang in there. You can still achieve your goals, which were to learn, and to create something nice.

If you choose to, you can make something different than the original plan. Don't like the Feb. block? Leave it out. Only love 4 blocks? Make them into a nice table runner, and use the others as hotpads. Really like one block -- make all the rest of of your fabric up into that block and skip the ones that are just not fun.

You've not sworn in blood to make your end project exactly like the other ladies'. Have fun with it.

RST
Old 02-08-2011, 03:01 PM

The way that these ladies started was right were you are. Sitting and working one block at a time. It is so hard when you want your skills to be at the next level and you feel they are not. TRUST ME you will be there in no time in fact you might already be there but just don't know it. Trust in yourself and know that we are here to support and cheer you on. Keep going keep asking questions the ladies there will be an amazing wealth of information.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:09 PM

My dad was a carpenter. And he had a saying, "Good enough for the fat man" So when I have accomplished something that I wasn't sure I could do. I say "Good enough for the fat man's daughter"

Over the summer I was redoing the sides of a shed and using a power saw. I was thinking to myself I don't know if I can do this and I swear I heard him whisper "just go slow"

You can do it. So don't quit!!! You will be so proud of yourself for finishing what you started.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 AM

DONT give up please read the story of Lynnejeans quilt for her sister - posted a bit further down. This is why we star to patchwork and quilt, for others not always for us. Stay with it :)