Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:57 AM

I know you have said you have been involved with quilting for 2 years, but gotten no where.....quilting is more than a social club. I gained confidence when I took the beginning basic rotary cutting class, and borders and binding.then I made 4 smallish quilts practicing the skills I learned in the classes. That has helped to build my confidence, but I still know there is a lot of learning to come before tackling the really difficult challenges.Try to ascertain where you need work and pick a quilt or square that will reinforce that learning.
Have you discovered the YOUTUBE quilting videos. They are so helpful.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:07 AM

don't give up i have been putting quilts together for a long time and i'm still not perfect,if i did it for perfection i would never get one done cause i'm always in a hurry ,cause i don't get much time to quilt,my grandkids love my quilts whether they are perfect or not so keep it up you will get better as you go
Old 02-09-2011, 05:09 AM

No one was born a great quilt, you get there one block at a time. Keep quilting.................
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 AM

I think this is a common mistake made by beginners.
Its best to work on crib/lap quilts and learn quilting tecniques
before jumping into a big project like a bed quilt. This then causes frustration and you become overwhelmed.
When frustrated you forget the basics,
cut accurately and sew your 1/4 inch accurately.
You have invested money for the class as well as fabrics so you should continue the class and take it one block at a time, and learn from the class and the other quilters.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 AM

Please don't expect perfection and please don't give up. I am quilting a UFO now that was one of my first and it shows how far I've come. Yes, there are imperfections but I know it will be used and loved which is why I am quilting it. The same goes for piecing. Practice, practice and practice some more. The best way to do that is with a BOM.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 AM

As a newbie quilter here, (Just started in Nov 2010) self teaching (from this board and many links they share) I am learning new things daily. Post pictures and really listen to what all the comments are. These wonderful woman and men will guide you in the right direction. Now think of it this way, if you give up..wont you be kicking your self for doing so later on when it does get easier?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 AM

My grandmother told me when quilting you are only as good as your last stitch. Slow down. Quilting can not be rushed. I have been quilting for 10 years and I am still in ahhh of others quilts. I feel like a beginner every day.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:26 AM

Don't give up! My first quilt is a cat blanket now. It was so sad. :oops: I love quilting and still struggle with some tops. Still make many mistakes. But I learn with each one. I made this baby quilt for a friend a couple of years ago and as she was holding it up at the baby shower I realized that one of my blocks was turned wrong. No one noticed and I didn't say anything about it. Laughed with another quilting friend about it later though. :D
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168080.jpe
Views:	81
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	168085  
Old 02-09-2011, 05:26 AM

I know it can be frustrating, but I suggest you determine whether you are gaining knowledge and getting better at the piecing process. If the answer is "yes", I definitely think it is worth your while to continue, because that is why you are there and not to compare your skills to the skills of others. I've learned everything I know by trial & error, books, etc., listening to others' advice, and watching quilting shows. My skills are not improving by leaps & bounds, but they ARE improving and I'm always learning something new. So I'm happy with that.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:30 AM

Don't give up and don't sell yourself short! You can do this! I have been quilting or piecing for at least 10 years or so. My works are not perfect - far from it but I enjoy it. Keep plugging away.