Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you quilt your own quilts? >

How many of you quilt your own quilts?

How many of you quilt your own quilts?

Old 02-09-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by helen31406
I quilt my own because I can't afford hundreds of dollars for custom quilting. After I stabilize the quilt by stitching in the ditch, I free motion quilt using my sewing machine with a large darning foot and templates made from waxed paper. There are many books on the market that have continuous designs especially for free motion. I think everyone should at least give it a try. It takes some practice, but it's worth the effort.
I totally agree. One QB member said she didn't like the fact that she wasn't in control if she sent her quilt to be quilted. Not that LA quilters don't do beautiful work-some are stunning! But I love the satisfaction that comes from doing the whole thing, start to finish, myself.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 AM

I quilt my own quilts as I can't afford to send it out to have it quilted. I machine some of the quilts and always like to do hand quilting as I find it to be relaxing while watching TV in the evening.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 AM

How would my LAQ stay in business if I did all my own quilting? Actually I quilt my own small ones, but anything twin size or above goes to my LAQ--she does panographics but has a wonderful library and does really nice work for not a huge amount of money.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:48 AM

I love everything until I get to the actual quilting. I think I would enjoy that also, but it's such a nose bleed to manhandle it that I put it off as long as I can.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 AM

I ALWAYS QUILT MY OWN MY MOM USE TO TELL ME IT WAS NOT A QUILT UNLESS I DID IT FROM START TO FINISH SO I LOVE THE WHOLE PROCESS
Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 AM

I quilt my own-at first it was by hand, now it is on a longarm. But I still have lots of quilt tops that are waiting, because the process of planning, choosing fabrics, etc. is what I enjoy! I do like using the longarm, but only for short periods.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 AM

A friend of mine gave me a frame that a regular sewing machine sits on for quilting...I love quilting my own quilts. I love it all!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 AM

My favorite part....finishing! lol. No, I love every aspect, the planning, the piecing, and I do quilt my own. I am an longarm quilter, so I do quilt my own and I love that part as well. I think what I love most about longarm quilting is the sense of accomplishment I get from seeing a floopy piece of pieced fabric turned into a real quilt...I never get tired of that wonderful feeling of accomplishment.
Michelle G. in El Paso

I had 2 quilts quilted by a local long arm quilter. We are very rural so there are no others within 60 miles of me. She does a fine job but only does edge to edge, no custom. And I just didn't feel like I could say "I made this" when she did the quilting. So, I had to get a long arm. I got a Tin Lizzie (very affordable for Home Quilting) and I love quilting my own and trying out my hand on custom quilting. I do edge to edge too if the pattern is busy and custom won't show, but I love the custom quilting!

I have new mega quilter myself...but what is a Qbot? I have practiced on muslin (a little) and hope to quilt all my own quilts too. I don't have a computerized sewing machine. Do you use the tear-away paper patterns? I'm thinking of trying them to do a recently finished quilt. Glad to find someone else who has a mega quilter instead of a Bernina.