Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 AM

I agree

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Don't quit before you try! You can do it. No ones wants you to be perfect, just the best that you can be.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 AM

You must be in the same BOM that I am at my quilt shop! I had a problem because the describsion of the materials were not clear and, because it was the 30's and 40's material, it all looked similiar to me. Finally, I just numbered them. I was going to quit also but decided to try ONE MORE TIME to get it right! Let's think of it as a longer learning curve and we will be the better for it :) Keep us informed. Hey, does yours have the circle center...LOL? That is a learning curve in itself!!!
Smiles,
Brenda
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 AM
nab

Please continue. You will never know what you missed if you quit. My first quilt was a sampler. I learned more from that quilt than I ever would have from a class. I have done BOM many times and have learned alot. It does not matter that you are a beginner. Everyone starts there. Give yourself credit for continuing.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 AM

I would keep going with it - everyone has to start somewhere. Those ladies might be really good now but they didn't get good without doing some quilting! ;) If you don't think you can handle it, maybe save it for when you feel more confident in your skills...but if it were me I'd just keep plugging away and don't let the other ladies intimidate you. You might even be able to use this project to connect with them and find yourself with a couple new friends who'd love to help teach you!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Oh no you ripped them out already. Just do it. Seems like you are in the middle of a group of very talented lovely ladies and that can sure be intimidating. Still most of us do not fall in that category and just quilt to have fun. Hang in there. We'll all be so proud when we get to see your finnished quilt.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 AM

I'm sure that all of the ladies in your group remember when they were starting out which might be part of the reason they are being so helpful. If you practice what you learned during the in-between class time, you should be able to look at your blocks at the end of the year and see how much each one improves over the one done before it. What a great beginning quilt to have as a reminder of when you started out.
Just take your time and don't rush to try and keep up with everyone else. You can always finish up at home. Most important of all, have fun with it. If you make a mistake - SO WHAT - the quilt is YOURS. Just relax and learn from your mistakes, we all have to.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 AM

Hang in there. You'll probably learn a lot and make friends. I bet your blocks are a lot nicer than you think.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 AM

Learn to enjoy the process. Do your best on the blocks and know you are learning. A finished quilt is great and you will improve with every one. Quilting is not a contest, it should enjoyable. Hang in there.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Keep going!! After all, it's JUST ONE BLOCK. Do that 12 times. You can't be perfect but you will learn and progress. Everyone starts at the bottom and works their way up. I know I did and I'm still climbing. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM

I fully agree with all the comments these fine quilters have made, based om our experiences that you must not give up with the BOM project you have started. In fact, I am sure that anyone in this group would answer questions, show how to do something through the PM system, and remember that, in this craft, there is no such thing as a "foolish question" from anyone--including toward those ladies in your LQS group in the same BOM as you are in. Keep us all informed with pictures; we want to watch your progress. As a sideline, I suggest you consider to make two of each block in the series, perhaps in another colorways, to end up with an almost finished second one at the same time as the "official" series.