Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you quilt your own quilts? >

How many of you quilt your own quilts?

How many of you quilt your own quilts?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 AM

I quilt my own because I can't afford to pay someone to do it. It is my least favorite part of the process, but I am finding it more enjoyable now that I am using an embroidery machine for the quilting. The other processes.... picking fabrics, cutting and resewing back together - I enjoy very much. :)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 AM

I quilt my own.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:33 AM
nab

I have quilted some smaller quilts, table runner etc. I have sent two large king size to the quilter, but I want to be able to quilt my own. It is quite expensive to have someone else finish your quilts. I have many quilt tops waiting to be quilted. With all the encouragement on this board, I am starting to think I can do them myself.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 AM

I love to design, enjoy the debate over choosing fabric, fabric prep, (washing. ironing, cutting) is okay cause you can see the potential, love piecing, enjoy the sandwiching until I'm halfway through and my back hurts and I love to quilt the tops, even though I break needles and wrestle the fabric through my Bernina regular machine!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:52 AM

I quilt my own quilts .I love to hand quilt best although I love EVERY aspect and step in the process of making quilts. I have begun in the last year and a half to try a bit of MQ because I need to finish faster and I am greedy and want to make two or three of EVERYTHING!! I tend to have some thing going on at several different stages all the time so I am never without a bit to work on.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:52 AM

My favorite part is picking out the fabrics, and cutting my pieces...
Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 AM

I love everything except the binding - think thats because its coming to the end especially if I have enjoyed making it and I quilt everything myself by hand
Old 02-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I do quilt my own. I have a long arm that I love running. But I really like to FMQ on my regular machine also. My favorite part of both types is selecting the design that I'll use and choosing the thread that compliments the top.
Casual Quilter
I am just now trying to learn how to FMQ. I can't do any designs without a stencil, and not to good at that. Were do you start on a big quilt with a regular machine. I need some advise. Any help would be appreciated.

Barb
Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 AM

I love every step of the process - from the first touch of the fabric to sewing on the label. I do my own machine quilting because I like to be in control of my project from start to finish. I have signed up for long arm lessons at a LQS. I can hardly wait!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 AM

Because I work fulltime, it's all I can do to get the quilt tops done. So I send mine out to be quilted. I would prefer the quality of hand-quited but just don't have the time.