Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 AM

Hi
It sounds like you like the ladies and want to learn to quilt. I would stick with it. concentrate on a smaller quilt or even cushions to build up your confidence. Use the other ladies to gain knowledge from - us quilters love to share what we know. One thing I have learnt from P&Q is to be patient.

Also BOM may not really be your thing and the next project might be more appealing.

Don't give up.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Don't give up. I am quilting for the second time in my life. Back 20 years ago we didn't have all the fancy tools we do now and frankly I am having a little trouble learning how to use them as they were intended. I am currently working on a quilt I started about three months ago. It is for our bed in my home. It has LOTS of mistakes in it but I am going ahead with it anyway. It is something I did because I enjoy it and if it's not perfect, well too bad. I like it, my DH loves it, so that's all that counts. I belong to a group of ladies that are all levels of quilters. Some have quilted for years, others have just started like me, but you know, they all make mistakes now and then and we all laugh about it.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM

Quilting is not a competition! It is for you and your pleasure and your happiness. You can't beat yourself up for being new at quilting when you are in a room full of experts. Remember we all started in the same place. It has surely taken them years and hundreds of quilts to get to where they are now. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Just enjoy the process and celebrate each new step while you learn and practice the new techniques you learn. Don't be so critical of yourself. Make yourself a lap quilt, wrap yourself up in the warmth and enjoy your accomplishment. The more you try and practice, the more comfortable you will become. Also I would talk to your LQS and determine the level of the class before you take it. They always offer more beginning level classes and if you take those, you will find many others who may not even have your abilities. Relax and enjoy! xxxxoo Mary Ellen
Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM

Miss Barkey, it is time to re-tool your thinking.
You've got a lot of encouragement to keep on keepin' on, and that's my advice too. But as you consider yourself a beginner, then begin to do a few things that beginners do: think "IT's OKAY to take stitched blocks apart, and do it a second time better." Make that your mantra.

And to aid in that decision, set a longer stitch length. Larger stitches are easier to remove. And instead of tacking down every single seam when you come to the end; just let it be stitched once through. And if it will help, loosen your tension, to give a more relaxed stitching.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:10 PM

I did the same thing. I saw a beautiful batik BOM, the Back To Nature with the tonga Batiks from Wing and a Prayer last year. I started it, the directions were confusing and my blocks looked like crap. As I continued on the blocks started looking better and better. I bought a little bit of extra fabric and redid the original ones that looked like crap.

It's certainly not perfect, my points are fantastic, but I am pleased with how my blocks came out overall.

Now squaring them all is where I need assistance. LOL.

Keep your head up and don't be intimidated by the experienced stitchers, they usually love to help the newbies.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:45 PM

As another beginner I encourage you to keep going. At the end you will have a quilt, whether it is perfect or not. But even better you will have forged friendships with what sound like some wonderful women. And I have no doubt, you will have learned in the process and become a better quilter! You can't lose by continuing, the money is already invested. You can only win. I'll be looking for your picture posts! They will encourage me to keep going.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:49 PM

My very first block of the month was very expensive,also. It was a thimbleberry at my LQS. I was a beginner then and could not put the first 2 blocks together right. The owner of the quilt shop said I had to buy all the blocks even though I wanted to quit.(don't think that was right but that's another story). Well, I never gave up. It turned out to be one of my favorite quilts and I learned alot doing it. I did have some advice from friends in a guild I joined. Please, don't give up!!!!! You will be amazed at yourself by the time you get through and there lots of people here that will help you if you need it. I will put a picture of it on for you in a little while( have to go take it).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-125404.jpe
Views:	51
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	125409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-125446.jpe
Views:	49
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	125451  
Old 02-09-2011, 12:49 PM

Find one of the ladies in the group that you like and then ask her if she would help you. All quilting ladies like to help, they are the kindest gals in the world. If you want to learn you have to make mistakes. We all have stories of beginnings.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 PM

I would suggest to NEVER EVER give up on yourself or your abilities. For having done what you are able to do, carry on and look to us for help and encouragement. It sounds like the ladies that you are quilting with are great for you as well. There is NO such thing as the quilting police! Believe me, your quilt will look great, and you will be proud of it. I know that I will be proud of you!

TreeFrog
Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Vat

Sounds like you have a really good support group. Don't give up, you will regret that move. Do one block at a time (thus the name BOM), that keeps it from becoming overwhelming. There are not any quilt police that are going to come and get you. Do your best and learn something new on each block if you can. Try to make each block better than the last. Be consistant with your 1/4 inch seam and they will all fit in the end. Then in years to come you will be able to look back and realize how much yo have learned. Good Luck! ! !