Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you quilt your own quilts? >

How many of you quilt your own quilts?

How many of you quilt your own quilts?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by No. One Meme
I work on 3 or 4 quilts at a time. Each in stages of progress. From the time I see the fabric my mind goes into overload for a particular pattern, size, etc. I enjoy each step. My first quilt top I finished was one I received that my grandmother finished in the 1960s. I finished it last year & had it shown in our local newspaper. It was called "Grandmother's Garden". I call it, "The Fabric of My Life". It wasn't finished on 2 edges & I left it as it was. OHHH the memories of her & the tears I shed in love. As a child I watched her as she patiently pieced. That's how I learned to quilt. I truly enjoy seeing the finished quilts hanging on one of my quilt ladders my husband made for me.
Have a wonderful tomorrow.
I love your answer! Grandmas teaching their grandkids to quilt- awesome!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 PM

I do everything from beginning to end. Now that I have retired from the workforce i have really gotten into quilting, I purchased EQ7 and I have been designing my own quilts as well, I find it a lot of fun. I find every aspect of quilting fun.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:09 PM

I quilt all mine, we don`t have many people doing quilting for others over here. I love hand quilting.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:13 PM

I hand quilt or tie mine, except for a monster log cabin I just got back from the Quilter ( it's my first professionally done one!) I found out that machine quilting ( the loading & unloading) is my least favorite part of quilting; as far as the basting, Thank God for Sharon Schamber! I use her basting methode exclusively now.. no more floor work.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 PM

I quilt all of mine since it is my work. I look at my quilts as a representation of who I am and my love of this art. I have numerous vintage machines that I have in treadles that I use for piecing to putting on the binding. Some of my quilts are just straight stitch quilting since I like the clean look of the straight stitch, and others are FM. Sometimes I have a combination of straight stitch and FM in the quilt. All of my bindings are finished off with a decorative stitch from my daughter's Janome TB-30 since I dislike to hand stitch. I wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Sasly the best answer I can give as to my favorite part. It just depends on where I am at, if I am piecing, that's my favorite, hand quilting..then that is. I think I agree that I am not crazy about sandwitching, but I don't even mind the binding now. And yes, I have managed to keep a few quilts. Gave more away though! :)
Old 02-09-2011, 01:04 PM

I can't afford to pay someone so I do my own but I hate it. It just seems so hard to get it all in the machine throat. Okay if you're just doing a straight line but when you have to turn the corner. I find FMQ a challenge too. Plus it doesn't suit ever quilt.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Vat

I don't quilt my large pieces I send them out but I do my own quilting on my cuddle quilts and miniture/small pieces. I own a mid-arm machine but have been intimated by it. My favorite part it the piecing, I used to call myself a "topper" instead of a quilter. Now I have done both and I guess I am a full pleagued quilter. I like to sandwich with 505 spray instead of pins, it works great.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:18 PM

I quilt all my own quilts I really don't think it would mean the same thing to me if I had someone else quilt it for me. I have a designer 1 machine & quilt with it I quilt a king quilt. I have been only quiltint since 2006, really never has any professional lessons, just read & listen .
Old 02-09-2011, 01:18 PM

I love everything about the process except the sandwiching its a pain whether hand or machine quilting. I love to hand quilt but am slow and like the machine for quilts for baby quilts or evenfor one thats going off to college with someone. I dreamed of having my own longarm and bought a Tin Lizzie last spring. It hasn't worked properly since I got it and the company won't return my phone calls, the repairman from the dealer has been out several times but the owner won't let him do anything but replace one part over and over.