Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts arent appreciated? >

Quilts arent appreciated?

Quilts arent appreciated?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 AM

I certainly know how you feel. A couple years ago I made a masculine quilt for an elderly dear friend who had been our daughters math teacher in high school about 20 years ago. He accepted the quilt with thanks and hugs. Then a couple months later he called me to say that his sister had visited and she had been a seamstress in her younger years. He said, 'she explained to me how great the workmanship and designing is in my quilt. I need to thank you even more for doing this for me.' Needless to say I was very happy. Sometimes it takes a while or someone else to make them appreciate what you do for them.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 AM

I worry about giving my granddaughter the lap quilt I am making for her. as she has a kitty running around and all know what they can do !!!!! so I've decided that there will be a sleeve added to it and she can hang it...all's end that ends well..........
Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by happymrs
Yes, sad to say, many don't appreciate them. I am very careful who I gift any quilt to, but it's still hard. I want to share with alot more, but I don't, cause I know how alot of people are. I would love for friends & family to visit, & say " I absolutely love this quilt!". Then, knowing how they feel, I would probably say, take it home with you then. But, we seldom have company, so that's not an option either, unfortunately. Most I just keep, unless I find a good home for them elsewhere...
I'm inviting myself to your house. I don't have a quilt of my own. I'm always making for others.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 AM

I just learned that my niece Emily is getting married on Feb. 26th. Her fiancee is in the military and got orders just after Christmas that he was being transferred to Washington State, so the wedding date was moved forward to this month. After many years of little or no response to a quilt I made, I don't gift them unless I know someone will appreciate them. I called Em and asked her if she would rather have a check or a quilt, she immediately asked for the quilt. She's given me color preferences
and I gave her pattern choices and I know she will love and appreciate the effort. Let's face it... Making a queen quilt and having it long-arm quilted is a very expensive proposition. It should only be done for those who will use and love it. xxxoo Mary Ellen
Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 AM

"I just don't believe for a second that you would spend hundreds of hours and hard earned dollars slaving over a quilt that you truly thought someone close to you would love and that you wouldn't be the least bit upset to find out they used to sop up the oil from the motor they pulled apart on it...and seriously if you comment back saying that you would be fine with that then lady, you are a saint and I hope you get your angel wings soon because I would be pissed.[/quote]

If you consider making quilt "slaving" then how sad and why are you making it anyway. I ofter do kind things for other people just to see the smile on their face when something unexpecteded happens. Like taking over a cake for my friend's mother 93 birthday. The smile and a simple thank you was enough. They did not offer me a peice of cake but I did not expect them to. I believe in Karma so yes I have my wings and lots of good things happen to me.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bigsister63
I know that this topic has been discussed before with about the same responses. I am amazed at the attitude of so many people about only giving quilts to those that will appreciate them. how does one show appreciation? I want to say "shame on you". You all are not giving gifts in the correct spirit of giving. You should be giving quilts or other gifts because you want to share yourself with the receipant and not because you want a trophy. Gifts should have no strings attached or instruction on how to be used.You all sound like the kid who brought their jacks to the playground and then said " If you do not let me win then I am going to take my jacks and go home" As far as the hours spent ibn making quilts or any other handmade project - I figure my time is free since the how else would I be spending my time- Cleaning- I would rather be quilting!

I make no qualms about it! It makes no difference to me if I gifted a quilt I worked on for hours or a store bought item. If the recipient tosses aside my offering like so much offending trash I will be pissed and never give a gift to that person again. so I guess i don't gift with the proper attitude either. And you know what, when i was a kid and brought my toys to the playground, if the other kids did not play FAIR or tried to break my toys on purpose I did gather them up and go home and never sought out those kids to play with again. No I did not have to win, but I am not going to play with a cheater or a sore loser either.

At the very least, I expect common courtesy and a little manners in return. If i don't get it I don't take back the gift but I don't put myself in the same situation again, that person will never get another gift from me. Jesus may have said turn the other cheek but I am not Jesus and I am not so forgiving.

Giving to charity is different. You often don't know where the gift ends up just that you hope it ends up with someone that really needs it. On the rare occassion we are blessed with contact from a recipient or maybe get to see a video of the quilts being given out.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
I ofter do kind things for other people just to see the smile on their face when something unexpecteded happens.
Aha! LOL* See, you do expect something! You anticipate at the very least a smile! ROTFL*** See, you're just as selfish of a giver as the rest of us. ;)
Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM

I hope I din't start this whirlwind. As I said earlier when I was fairly young and ne nothing much about embroidery,knitting and especially guilting I had no idea of the work involved/I believe my first realization was when my sister in law took me into Ark and we went to some quilt home. I made a remark to her about the cost and that's when she told me "That is only for the top' I was really enlighted about expense of quilted. Soon after I started doin embroidery work and knitting and learned more. So people don't be too harsh maybe like I was just don't know...inforn & educate them don't condemn them
Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM

Wah, Wah, Wah. Does everyone have to love and cherish Quilts? Does everyone have love and cherish every well-intentioned gift they get? For Pete's sake! Just because you enjoyed the H#** out of making a quilt for someone doesn't mean they're compelled to love. And what's so special about YOUR quilts?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM

I was knitting an afghan one winter and decided to give it to my godson for a wedding gift. Just out of curiosity I paid attention to the time it took to knit two rows (it was a fairly complicated pattern). I multiplied that by the number of rows and then by $5 or 6 per hour (not even minimum wage).

That afghan cost over $450 just in time spent! Wonder if he realizes that?