Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:00 PM

Of course not--all of us have to learn to crawl, walk, then run! Give yourself time and stop thinking you will be a pro in a day--nobody is!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:58 PM

Nope! Never give up...all of those other kind ladies also, at one time, were inexperienced...maybe even lacked self confidence too...and they are happy to take you under the wings to pass on their knowledge to you and to help you learn...it would be disrespectful to them to just quit!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 PM

there is no such word is give up shame on you for thinking this way what ever yopu make be proud I have been there and still there stand back and admire you projects
Old 02-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Quilting is a learning experience. I have been quilting for 30 years and I get better with every quilt I make.
You NEED a goal and to stretch yourself. Keep plugging away and watch the experienced ladies.
Enjoy the process...it is sooooo rewarding.
XOXOXXO Subee
http://www.subeesews.blogspot.com

Originally Posted by MissBarkey
I am part of a Block of the Month group at my local quilt shop. I've been quilting for about 2 years and haven't really accomplished much, but I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed. Bad move.
The owner of the shop is a wonderful lady who is patient and helpful and the other ladies in the group are equally helpful. No -problem there. The problem is me and my lack of self-confidence and skill. These ladies are good....really good. They are doing this quilt as either an investment (it was costly) or as an entry in shows. I am totally intimidated by their abilities and have ripped out all my blocks I've done so far.
My question is this, should I just give up and chalk it up to an expensive lesson in "look before you quilt"? I really don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Don't give up! If you aren't crazy in love with the blocks, just don't make them up into that "special" quilt you were going after. Join a few of them to make table runners, or make pot holders out of them, or pillow covers, etc. Or make two smaller quilts and donate them - the list goes on. If the blocks are hard for you to do, that means you are learning new skills!

I agree with other comments that you are lucky everyone is so supportive. Sometimes seasoned quilters can sort of look down their noses at beginners.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:35 PM

Don't give up. It is about fun and learning....not perfection! I always told my kids...you can't eat an elephant in one bite! You have to do it a bite at a time. You will learn so much. Don't be afraid to ask for advice. I am here to help you if I can...lots of miles away but will be willing to listen. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 PM

Never give up. We all start knowing nothing or very little. We gain knowledge by trying new things. The ladies in your group started where you did and learned by making mistakes and using their thread rippers just like you are. Your quilt will turn out beautifully. Your quilt may not be show quality but it will be something you will look at later and be proud that you persisted and have this wonderful beautiful first piece of art. I guarantee that it will turn out better then you now think it will. I just finished my first quilt without a pattern I really thought it was going to be terrible but I'm proud of it and my grandson won't notice that everything isn't straight, he will only know that his grandma put her love and heart in a quilt for him. Put your heart in it. Don't worry about what someone else thinks or what they are doing.
Hugs Mia
Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by MissBarkey
I am part of a Block of the Month group at my local quilt shop. I've been quilting for about 2 years and haven't really accomplished much, but I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed. Bad move.
The owner of the shop is a wonderful lady who is patient and helpful and the other ladies in the group are equally helpful. No -problem there. The problem is me and my lack of self-confidence and skill. These ladies are good....really good. They are doing this quilt as either an investment (it was costly) or as an entry in shows. I am totally intimidated by their abilities and have ripped out all my blocks I've done so far.
My question is this, should I just give up and chalk it up to an expensive lesson in "look before you quilt"? I really don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.
I would not quit. Do you think these ladies have always been good at quilting? You will never learn or improve your skills if you quit. I say keep going and ask for their help when needed. I have learned so much from others in this process. I agree with the others, do not be so hard on yourself. No one is perfect, even those that you think are perfect are not perfect. I bet if these ladies are honest with you they would tell you how many times that they have ripped out stitches. I say keep working at it. You will be happy that you did.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM

when i was 62 I started studying karate. at first I was very frustrated. At 71 I passed my black belt test. How....I stopped comparing myself to others and just went at my own speed. I loved what I was doing and that kept me going. It is the same with quilting, which at the age of 75 I am learning. Go at your own speed and love what you are doing. You will be fine.and don't be afraid to ask for help....
Old 02-09-2011, 04:49 PM

Those ladies were once beginners too. The only way they got to be as experienced as they are is by jumping in and not giving up. If you stick it out someday you will be the experienced lady helping a newbie and telling them not to be intimidated.