Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 AM

all the stuff that gives you trouble, search for it here on the board and read, read read. It's amazing what sinks in. Pretty soon you'll be teaching them a thing or two.

When I got in the swap I knew how to piece. Or so I thought. And yo a lot of the people in the swap are quilt teachers. &^%#@*!

I went through some horrible frustrations with the first few trying to get them right..(poor judy, I still need to send her a makeup block) and now I actually do get them right...for the most part. lol.

you're all great
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 AM

Don't quit, I started out same as you with a BOM and everyone in the class were so good I felt oh boy I think I bit off to much this time, the instructor said it was not a beginning class oops. I stuck with it and the last month I got most improved of the class I was on cloud nine. So hang in there you will be glad you did.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 AM

Don't give up. Just realize that the 1st one is a learning process and doesn't have to be perfect. I just finished one I started 15 years ago when I was in the same spot you are in. I had sewn for years and thought I knew enough to quilt. Ha! I call it my "progression quilt". I can look at the blocks I did first and see soooo many mistakes but I can also see how much I've learned over the years. I did put it aside for a few years and thought I would never finish it. It just wasn't meeting my standards (whatever those were at the time) but when I dug it back out and took my time, I love the finished project and how much I learned with each block.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 AM

The only question that I see here is are you having fun with this??? Do you enjoy doing it?? If you do stick with it! I am not so great with the piece work. But I love to do it so I do. I have made several quilts none perfect but all made with love. I bought a long arm machine and have made a business out of that. For that part my work is perfect. My piecing not so much.. But it is what I do to get away from the rest of the world and have me time.. So I say keep it up. Over time you will improve but for now you are doing what you enjoy. Life isn't always about perfection sometimes it's just meant to be fun. Trust me on this you are much better than you think. Enjoy. and when you are done you will be proud of yourself for finishing.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 AM

We ALL were at your point in quilting at one time. Don't give up, you'll improve with each block. Just ask for help and don't feel awkward about it. You'll get there. When I teach, I assume everyone is a beginner. You'd be surprised how many "experienced" quilters make less than great blocks.

Stick with it. Good luck.

Sandy
Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 AM

If you get discouraged because things don't measure up when you are finished, try paper piecing it. You can use freezer paper and do it piece by piece or if you can break it up into sections were it would work with one done to start and add others to the same paper piece. This way the fabric does not stretch, you have perfect seams and it all fits together perfectly. I took a class once by Shar Jorgensen and I was extremely frustrated with seaming things and having them come out perfectly--she is a real stickler for this. Paper piecing makes everything perfect by stopping any stretching or bias changes. It always measure perfectly in the end, the seams are perfect and straight. The trying to get things to sew together perfectly without it can be done on your own time with scraps or on a project that isn't costly--if you do not want to paper piece, you may want to starch everything real well to avoid any stretching.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:07 AM

No, don't give up! That would be counterproductive, and it would cost you your investment, besides. More than your inexperience, I'm hearing your comparing yourself to more experienced quilters. Don't compare yourself to anyone, ever - that is a dead-end street. Go to each class, do the blocks, check out the BOM posts on here - you can learn a lot - and don't compare yourself to anyone else.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM

I took a sampler BOM class and every month saw all of the "show and tells" done by very talented women while my blocks looked like they were done by a 1st grader. BUT, I continued to go and listen and watch and learn. By the end of the class I looked at my sampler quilt and was able to see all of the techniques I learned. I even I mastered one or two skills. I never did like the pattern but I was more confident about my quilting skills. The quilt police don't live in my house so I try to look at each project as a positive learning experience.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:49 PM

I'm sure by now that you've had lots of advice and encouragement. I too have only been quilting seriously (?) for about a year. I"m still doing mostly rectangles, half square triangles, and a rare flying guesse. I'm taking a class now doing big 18" blocks for a sampler. I'm also doing a block of the month which I'm not real fond of. The BOM uses much smaller pieces. BUT I'm improving--yeah. I actually finished a crib size quilt today from cutting out to quilting on my new machine. I'm proud of it. My favorite thing to remember is "you can't see it on a galloping horse 10 feet away". I don't intend to enter anything I've made to any compitition so I'm just enjoying what I'm doing. Plus it is keeping me sane during this long winter. Hang in there.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Don't give up of you enjoy it. It will get better for you.