Rotary cutter accident

Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 AM

OUCH. thats why I like my sew easy rotary cutter fingers don't get in the way. mind you my husband is always cutting himself with a stanley knife and I have to rush him to hospital to get stitched up. once I rang and told them I was bringing him in AGAIN and they said the Dr wouldn't be in to stitch him up till after 5PM I told her he didn't have anything to stitch he cut the side of his finger right of. when we got there she said oh boy your sure right about that. it took weeks & weeks to heal back properly. He didn't suffer too much pain and he was back using the stanley knife the next day. All the nurses know him in ER and call him by his first name now. gotta love him, but he is so accident prone. he called me yesterday and when I went to see what he wanted he had the car running and my first thought was OMG what has he done this time, Panic over 1 of the neighbours needed a hand. hope you heal quickly but don't make a habit of it.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 AM

I've cut my left index finger not once, but twice! Talk about painful?! Then my husband put O'Lippa plastic finger guards on all my long rulers. No more cuts (so far)!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 AM

I too cut the side of my index finger off with the cutter. Went to the hospital and had the piece sewed back in place. Terrible experience. Was so "gun shy" with the cutter after that I wouldn't use it. Cut everything with scissors. Finally made myself start to use the cutter. Am being extremely careful now and have shields on all my rulers.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Sorry to hear, hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 AM

Guess Fons and Porter's protective glove wouldn't be such a bad idea at that. Hope you heal quickly and avoid a recurrence!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:22 AM

I cut through 2 nail beds before I bought the glove from Fons & Porter. I feel your pain!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 AM

soooo sorrrry .... get well fast. i am scared to death of my rotary cutter. cause i know how sharp those blades are. we can't be tooo careful, can we? and accidents still happen.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:14 PM

NEVER USE A ROTARY CUTTTER BAREFOOTED! a good friend of mine dropped her rotary cutter on the top of her foot ..didn't feel it until she was walking in blood. She cut an artery....then she tried to drive herself to a medical clinic, started feeling dizzy and called 911. Thank goodness...she lived out in the country, alone....EMS got her to the hospital in time. She always wears shoes when quilting now. We all try to remember to close our blades....but sometimes I forget.
D in TX
Old 02-10-2011, 12:36 PM

I cut through my thumb nail with a rotary cutter a few months ago...and my nail still has a strange bump. I didn't have my own ruler and mat and was using the one at my lqs. My own ruler has one of those large suction-type handles so my hand is well out of the way. The story about the dropped cutter and bloody foot is scary.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 PM

I did exactly what you did. I cut my finger almost to the bone. I am so sorry this happened to you. I went down to Harbor Freight and bought some of those suction cup handles that people use to pick up panes of glass and I use them on my rulers. It keeps my ruler in place and my fingers way away from the blade. Give it a try. I wouldn't cut without them any more.