Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice >

Need advice

Need advice

Old 01-28-2011, 02:52 AM

For sewing cotton fabrics I have found that sharp or microtex needles are best, universal needles aren't good for that. Its not hard to put a new needle in, just make sure that you put it in correctly for your particular machine.
I have quite a few old Singers and some of them have the needle flat either to the left or right and of course they all thread differently. :roll: When I go back to using my modern machines I have make sure that I put the new needle in right.(bad news if I didn't)
Take the throat plate off and clean all the lint out;
and the bobbin area and oil it if your machine requires it.
You'll be suprised at how much better your machine sews.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:28 PM

Quick tip....Don't ever blow on the lint that's in your needle area. That just pushes it further into the mechanisms of the machine. Not Good!! I try to send mine in for cleaning once a year of so, depending on how much sewing you may do. I got hooked on quilting about 3 yrs ago when my neice adopted 2 little ones from Guatamala. Now I can't seem to stop. Welcome to the group!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Cleaning your machine is essential. I would get an artist paint brush (as opposed to a childs paint brush) and put it around the bobbin area and any other place you can under the needle plate to clean off any threads, fabric lint etc. Also needles are made specifically for certain fabric types (cotton, silks, jeans, jersey etc. Read your manual and you will gain a lot of important information. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM

I like all these sounds! We need a directory!!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:40 AM

I take the throat plate off and clean the bobbin area with a brush very often. I have a computerized machine and was told by the dealer to never try to oil it myself, just take it to him and he will do it and to have it serviced once a year. This is what I do and so far all is good.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by DianneRab
Hi ladies,
I am sending my brand new Singer Quilter's Confidence machine off for warranty repairs. It seems (after talking with Liddy who is their factory rep in my area that this machine is a fussy one. Only likes 90/12 needles and cotton blend thread. You can't use tissue paper for stablizer (the manual suggests this) for applique and what about all those pretty threads to make the quilts look amazing.

Sending the machine off today and have to go pick it up when it is finished a 6 hour drive (includes both ways) I am a bit miffed as the manual which I've read many times does not give you this kind of information. Liddy Singer service woman, did promise a bunch of lessons for free. There were some other issues with this machine it's disease is thread lock. So besides, needles and thread, there is drama with machines.

Phew thanks for letting me sound off ladies
Dianne
I did send the machine off and it turns out to be the motor, not anything I did PHEW!