Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you dislike traditional quilting >

Do you dislike traditional quilting

Do you dislike traditional quilting

Old 02-11-2011, 05:26 AM

I like both styles. To me its the colors and color value change that makes a quilt interesting and fun to do.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:32 AM

For me personally, I am drawn to the traditional quilts. They seem to tug at my heart more than modern quilts do.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

If you had told me a year ago that I would now be spending all my time thinking about quilting I'd have told you that you were nuts. Quilts never "did" anything for me. Even after the fateful trip to the quilt shop six months ago with my friend, it was the FABRIC I was in love with, not the quilts. I told my friend I would never quilt. Not interested. No, Sir, not me. But in looking for some fabric online, I stumbled across the Modern Quilt Guild site. Hee hee, it was all over!!

In fact, I've been so infected with The Bug, that when I fried the motor on my Bernina 930 day before yesterday, I cried like a baby. Im actually still pretty emotional about it. We were having such a good time together, and we had such big plans. Hopefully she's not terminal, because it will be a loooong time before I can afford another machine. And I have projects in the works to finish.

So, yeah, it's modern for me, too... was that the question? LOL
Old 02-11-2011, 05:52 AM

All quilts deserve a standing ovation-just for the time, effort, design, material, structure and input of the quiltmaker. Some pieces are more effective than others but each is loved and has a place in history. I have several traditional patterns you could not pay me enough to make and highly dislike but if I see one that is well made and highly skilleded -kudos to the maker. I am a mix and match quilt artist. I combine the best of tradional patterns but alway want my own personal stamp on my work so I intertwine the latest art techniques with my own fabric so they are orginals. Traditional patterns and quilting are the foundation needed to set off on your own path so enjoy both.
Moosegirl

Bleach discharge-traditional block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149400[/ATTACH]

Reverse app-art technique
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149401[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-149395.jpe
Views:	9
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	149400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-149396.jpe
Views:	10
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	149401  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:56 AM

I appreciate all quilting. I may gravitate to certain types or styles of quilts but I can honestly say I like it all.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 AM

I like tradiational...art quilts and landscape quilts are not my favorite and anything with Paint on it...JMHO
Old 02-11-2011, 06:09 AM

I for one love the old tried and true quilt patterns. That being said, I love you quilters who stretch your imagination and produce those contemporary quilts. My granddaughter is so imaginative and her quilts are a delight.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:16 AM

I love traditional hand quilting and I love to use the traditional methods and patterns! But I really admire every kind of quilt and style and I am full of respect for all the work, skill and creativity that has been invested.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:16 AM

I love the old traditional patterns - and I make all my quilts scrappy - never repeating the same fabric in the quilt - mostly using tone on tone or solid colors as background fabrics - I envy you ladies who do the art quilts - it is a special talent that not everyone has but the traditonal blocks sooth my soul.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 AM

Everyone in my family is talented artistically. I can't draw or paint - even my stick figures embarrass me. But I do have a good sense of color and love fabric, so I sew things, including a few quilts. I have yet to follow a pattern or do anything traditional. I just love to put designs and colors together. It's my way of painting, I guess, and I'm really happy when I can create. At 80 years old you'd think I'd prefer traditional, which I do appreciate, too, but my house has mid-century modern things and I wore Marimekko fabrics and other quirky things in the 60's, so I never left the realm of the modern. My bed has a traditional Grandmother's Garden quilt I bought just because it's so pretty. So there's room for all the beautiful things.