Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please describe your design wall >

Please describe your design wall

Please describe your design wall

Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Banned

Mine is a queen-size Warm & Natural Batting with a sleeve in the bottom. The sleeve is for a piece of baseboard, which adds just enough weight to hold the batting taut, allowing the blocks to stick better. And when I'm done, the batting comes down and gets folded up in a drawer.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:50 AM

I have 1 3/4 sheets of exterior insulation covered on felt. I used white felt but have read off white or light gray is good. Attach the felt to the foam board with spray glue starting in the center working toward the ends a section at a time so you can smooth it out before the glue sets.We put it up with L screws. The long leg is threaded and screws right into the wall. Used 4 on the long sides and 3 on the short sides. This means you can turn the screws sideways if you need the board to be portable and have only a few holes to patch if you need to take it down completely.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:51 AM

I have a multi hook hanger over a door, with a cafe rod hanging from it. I've hung a big piece of white felt that I've had for years from it. (I used safety pins and cafe hangers) Less than 15 minutes and I've got a great wall that holds my fabric via friction, and I can put away when I need the room for one of. I put the next project up once I start the final of the current project. Keeps me motivated!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Hi Peggy:
This DH and I built a new home and I got the best dream sewing space. The DH built a row of shelving along one whole wall to hold the stash...which is mostly kits that I've collected over the years. Then to make certain that certain that all that fabric was protected against light damage, we added a sort of sliding door mechanism to the top shelf and then two doors that cover the works. Each of the two doors is 6 ft 1 inch wide and 69 inches tall. Of course, just one of the doors is perfect for a design wall. The fact is: I have two of them--two design walls!
Originally Posted by Peggybluebird
I am happily moving to a new house :-D and will have a whole room for my quilting! I have never had a design wall, and am trying to decide if I need one. What is yours covered with? Is it vertical? Or tipped slightly? How do things stay up there?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-154707.jpe
Views:	114
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	154712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-154708.jpe
Views:	150
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	154713  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Peggybluebird
I am happily moving to a new house :-D and will have a whole room for my quilting! I have never had a design wall, and am trying to decide if I need one. What is yours covered with? Is it vertical? Or tipped slightly? How do things stay up there?
I bought the wall material from Keepsake Quilting and right now I have it draped over my closet doors, but I am planning on hanging it on a curtain rod.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 AM

My friend just bought a portable one at a quilt show as neither of us have wall space. It folds up like a camping chair, but opens to accommodate a king size quilt, stands at an angle and it VERY sturdy. I'm going to the Sewing Expo next month and asked her if she liked it- she loves it! She has the foam core one made and it works fine, but just no room in her home in Florida.
For the Newbies- they're like an artists palette- you have to stand a few feet away from the blocks to get a true idea of what the colors do- the flat bed just doesn't work the same!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:29 AM

I have a Block Butler, and I love it. If it loses its stick, I just spritz it with water and it works great.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM

I went to Big Lots and got flannel back table cloths on sale for two dollars each and hung them on the wall with tape. It works great and it isn't permanent, so I can remove it.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by beachlady
I have two design walls - both 4x8 foam board from Home Depot. DH used a wood frame to stablize them. Covered them in batting. If ceiling fan is on I do use pins, or the vacuum also will make them fall off. They will stick on the battting otherwise.
This is what I did. My Home Depot called the boards "sound board". Bought cheap batting from WalMart.

Two boards leaning against wall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]155621[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-155616.jpe
Views:	28
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	155621  
Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 AM

you can get a flannel sheet and use push pins or cover the foam board with the sheet, the quilt blocks with just cling to it