Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Bet they were not real good when they started either. Don't give up, someday, someone will think you are a lot better then they are. Sandra
Old 02-10-2011, 04:19 PM

Dear Miss Marley,
When I started quilting I joined that same club, now I look at it and hate it, I finally finished all the square, but the fabric my teacher helped me pick out to punch it out, was terrible in my mind, I am trying now to finish it with sashing and border, to give it as a donation to soldiers or cancer people going through chemo...but so disappointed in the way it looks and after 12 months definately not the colors I would have chosen, it takes time to learn, and I sure do have so much more to learn, I love it here as everyone is always making you feel what you have done, is great, we all need that don't we? But I doubt I will ever join BOM again, sorry...
Old 02-10-2011, 04:37 PM

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Do not give up!! We have all been beginners at one time or another.....and some of us - even after several quilts - are just not as good as some others......BUT....(listen now) .....your quilt does not have to be PERFECT....we learn from mistakes we make,,,,,and as the Amish say, only GOD is perfect!! Do your best....if you make a mistake that YOU cannot live with, then take it apart and correct the mistake... If the mistake is one you can live with ( forget about comparing yours to others who are mmore advanced) - then leave it alone and move forward.....at the end of the quilt, you will have a top that is YOURS and that you are proud of.....and that will remind you of many hours spent learning new techniques, WITH LOVE AND PASSION..............relax - enjoy what you are doing, and forget about comparing yours to others.....just do it for yourself...............
Old 02-10-2011, 05:18 PM

If you are having fun, then by all means keep going. Do not let this become work because quilting is in the eyes of the quilter. We need no Quilt Police for those of us just learning. I have sewn garments and household items since I was a tike on a treadle (that makes me older than dirt you know!) and when I took up quilting four years ago, I figured what a snap. I can do this. Well, the corners did not match, I could not master the quarter inch seam and I doubt I cut a single block on the straight of grain for at least a couple months. But because I belonged to a group of well-seasoned quilters, they came to my rescue and I am getting better all along. But most of all, I am having fun and the experienced ladies (and gent) never criticize my work and always offer encouragement. So send your questions to this Board and there will be someone right at your side. Good luck and post a block photo every now and then. You CAN do this.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 PM

no, please dont quit. stick with it and learn all you can. learn, learn and you will become more confident :P
Old 02-10-2011, 07:45 PM

Every quilter has to start at the beginning, as did all the quilters in your group. You are being way to hard on yourself. Start again. One block at a time. Press it, and on with the next. You are not entering a show, tho' someday you may, so relax, learn and enjoy. You will be surprised at how nice it will turn out. No one is going to look at each stitch like you are. Enjoy it and go with the flow. Do not quit......you always feel frustrated when you are first learning something. A week or so later, you think it is easy.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:17 PM

I believe in the galloping horse theory of sewing. If you can't see it on a galloping horse at 20 paces it doesn't matter. In other words we are our worse critics and never never never point out your mistakes unless it is to make someone else feel better about their own. We have all been begginers at something and only with practice do we get better. Remember you have to train before you run a marathon. This quilt is your training and there will be lots more before you hit your first marathon. Good luck and please post photos.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM

I agree with everyone else I have only been quilting for 2 years, and have found the joy in my finished work. I am the newest in my quilt group and have learned so much. my quilting has improved over the months and is by far not as good as everyone elses but the conversation alone is worth it. sometimes i go and dont even take out my mechine, just gab all day. I wouldnt trade my thursday for nothing. practice practice, its also a good time to take all your mistakes, ripping out seems is the worst thing to do by yourself, but in a room with others you dont even realize the time that goes by, thats when i fix my seems. think of it as getting great lessons from experienced quilters,they have a ton of knowlege. I do hope you stick it out. Good luck, and lots of huggs. I'll bet you counldnt count the seems those of us on this board have ripped out.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 AM

You would not believe how many times I riped out a block,some times a whole row because the row above didnt lineup.I felt like giving up but it was an anniversary gift for my son and daughter.It had to get done.The ladys in my quilt shop were just excited as I was to finally finish it and get it to the quilter to finish.It was my first queen size quilt.They got it in the mail and just loved it.They didnt see all my mistakes.I had a 2inch piece that was up side down and they didn't notice it.I was being so hard on my self and for no reason.It's an heirloom and some day some one might see that piece and laugh but by then I will be gone and who will care.Think about it our lives arent perfect and we all make mistakes and life goes on.Enjoy the new friends and good times by all.You will learn new stuff untill you die and enjoy doing it.God Bless
Old 02-11-2011, 08:05 AM

I am reading more & more blogs......and am in about the same place you are w/self confidence, with 1 yr of quilting. Tackled a quilt way above my skill level for a first one, but finished. It's imperfections are evident but am glad I finished, & will give it to my daughter anyway. Have collected too much beautiful material at this point to quit, so will tackle another (already have, actually). Guess we just need to keep going & accept the help from others.......