Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing smell from charms >

Removing smell from charms

Removing smell from charms

Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ladyshuffler
Try this....lay them on a cookie sheet , they can overlap. Put them in the freezer for 3 days, check for smell, they should be good. I have heard this used for books as well.
HM, I wonder if you could smoke the salmon while you're at it? hahahahaha

Seriously - I'll have to try that one.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 PM

Hmmm I was thinking if the smell is not too bad to work with... make the quilt top and then launder it??
Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 PM

I put them in a little laundry bag that zippers closed and is for delicates - then throw them in the washing machine on low and wash with regular detergent and then throw in the dryer to dry. And I usually add a cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle too.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:09 PM

I bought some thread on ebay, and the box it came in smelled so bad it permeated the thread. I had some stain and odor solution I had gotten from the pet store that was amazing in eliminating cat urine smell (which is THE worst) so I gave it a try. Sprayed the inside of a clean cardboard box, put the thread in it, tucked in a paper towell sprayed with the solution and closed the lid overnight. ALL gone! I was afraid I had made a major mistake, but all is well. I have bought pre-cut blocks with a tiny piece of low-scent dryer sheet tucked into the zip lock bags, supposedly to absorb moisture, but the material smelled nice. That might help too.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
Try the freezer. If that doesn't work, maybe some fresh air and sunshine? You could spritz with a little Fabreze to be able to work with them. Once you're done with the project a good wash with detergent and vinegar should kill the cigarette stench.

I find it hilarious everyone is so "allergic" to smoke odors now. Am I the only one who walked among smokers in my lifetime? Or went to restaurants and bars that allowed smokers inside the stinkin' building? There were smoking areas at my high school! Thankfully, all that has changed.

I'm happy we're all anti-smoking, but there are worse odors. Think about it. Personally, I'd rather smell cigarette smoke than fried grease or rank trash odors. It's a smelly world. Maybe one day we'll quit frying foods, smoking cigarettes, use deodorant and soap and take the trash out in a timely manner.
I agree with you to a point, Chele.:) My fabric was bought specifically for quilts that go to hospitals where many of these kids already has asthma problems. Cigarette and pipe smoke leaves not only odors but tars in and on anything it touches. That has to be removed before these kids who are sensitive to inhalants can use them.

I enjoyed the smell of my dad's and grandpa's pipes but I would break out, my eyes would water, and I would have coughing fits if I was in the same room. I learned early on to avoid artificial odors as they were a problem for me. However, I live near a feed lot and that does not bother me, only artificial odors which are chemicals.

Ok, I'll quit yaking at you all and go fold all this fabric. Lots of quilting ahead! :-D :-D
Old 02-11-2011, 07:52 PM

maybe put them into a ziplock baggie and put some fabric softner sheets into the bag and maybe that will help.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Hmmm I was thinking if the smell is not too bad to work with... make the quilt top and then launder it??
If the smell wasn't so bad I would :)

And Yes there are a lot of worse smells than smoke but cigarette smoke seems to give me an instant headache. Not that I am a big whiner and complainer or anything :) but eww! I almost think I would take the garbage smell over the smoke smell LOL

I have the charms in the freezer now. I will check them out tomorrow. If I don't smell much of a difference I think I will try the baking soda. Maybe add the baking soda to them while in the freezer!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 PM

I've had good luck with those little packets of stuff that come in the box with a new pair of shoes. Put them in a Ziploc bag with a couple of those.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 PM

glad to hear of the suggestions
Old 02-12-2011, 02:19 AM

I have an idea, don't know how many you got, but put in a pillowcase,close it ,tie it, and wash in the gentle cycle, or if you a mind to swish in tub full of soapy water and rinse, which that can be a job in itself.