Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My 13 year old son Long arm quilting for Quilts of Valor >

My 13 year old son Long arm quilting for Quilts of Valor

My 13 year old son Long arm quilting for Quilts of Valor

Old 02-11-2011, 07:51 PM

That is really neat to see and he IS so serious about it from the pics above. He is enjoying himself I bet!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:51 PM

That's amazing!!! So proud of Carl! Great talent runs free in your loving home!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

This is wonderful! Now you have a partner in the making! :)
Old 02-11-2011, 08:02 PM

He's really concentrating! Great Job Carl!
Way to go!
Sue
Old 02-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by T-Bones mom
My DGD has asbergers also. She has issues talking with people and other things. She does talk freely to me and I have been teaching her how to quilt. So far she is doing really well. she sews a great 1/4 in seam. She is 15 and has been having a hard time dealing with the High School. Too many people to cope with and she gets over whelmed. The school has been wonderful in helping. Quilting is an outlet to express herself.
YEs..Carl does get overwhelmed pretty easily...but so far so good..he has one or two good friends that he hangs with and they have already recognized themselves that they each have their own "quirks"...so this bond has made them feel more comfortable in school. I am sorry you DGD is struggling..I will pray for her..she is fortunate to have you to help her.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bamamama
Originally Posted by charismah
Our LQS is participating in the "under our wings" program.

They did sign ups for coaches and beginners and then they paired up beginners with a coach for quilting lessons....and while they are learning to sew they are making "Quilts of valor." Our LQS is giving 10% off all patriotic fabrics...and donating backing and batting...and long arm quilting. We got the backing ..but I am providing the batting and letting my son use my machine.

There is also contest and prizes.

Carl was paired with a friend of mine because he has a mild form of asberger's and has certain quirks ..so he needs an understanding coach.

My 13 year old son Carl has always said he is going to be a soldier when he grows up. HE also loves art...he doodles, paints and draws..this is a new form for him..but he takes it very seriously and I am super proud of him!

I knew this may be something he would like to do....he works at his coach's house every Saturday morning..he gets so excited to go he can hardly eat his breakfast and he perseverates over everything he is going to learn....Here he is....
My youngest (now 25) also has mild asberger's so I understand when you say he needs an understanding coach. Along with that there is usually a high level of intellegence and a very artistic ability. Benjamin is now a very talented web designer. I see Carl has some of your talent!
That describes Carl perfectly....he could jump many grades ahead if he wasn't socially awkward..he loves art and poetry. Very soft, kind hearted child. HE wants to be a soldier or go to architect school. He would do well as a soldier only because it is a very strict lifestyle...and he thrives with rules and regulations..set schedules..but I would hate for the free side of him to get crushed....God will lead him!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ps 150
Just awesome! I have a 13 year old cousin and I can't get him anywhere near anything quilting. But I think I'm more shocked that you have a 13 year old son! Your avatar pic does not look like you're old enough!
I have 6 children and he is the third one! LOL
Old 02-11-2011, 08:13 PM

It is so much fun to see our young people starting to quilt at a nice early age. He is really concentrating and you can just see he has his heart & soul into his work!!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 PM

How awesome! One of my grandson's has autism spectrum, it seems to be more on the aspergers end of the spectrum but I understand their struggles. Kaden has been sitting on my lap and sewing with me since he was only a few months old. He is 9 now and still loves to sew. Finally this year he is in a special program at school for autistic children and having a successful year. Last year was a disaster. May God bless all the children, especially those with special needs.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 PM

He's doing great!