Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did you learn to make quilts >

How did you learn to make quilts

How did you learn to make quilts

Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 PM

A dear friend from Minnesota, who came here to" live in the sun", initially showed me the American method of hand quilting and I've tried tons of other methods since then-usually picked up at meetings or on the internet or using my own methods as lessons are often expensive and uneducational unless the teacher is exceptional.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:44 PM

From my mother she made quilts to sell and also made them for the church to raffle off she also has a quilt she made in 1976 in our museum in town which she hand embroider the names of the people that were 76plus that year she had them write there name on to piece of material and she embroider it
Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 PM

Found a thin book called Traditional Patchwork Quilt Patterns by Rita Weiss.It included 4 plastic templates. Took the book home, found some cotton scrap material left over from my daughter's sun dresses and got started. Made 9 blocks and made it into a small sampler. I still have it hanging above my sewing space. I've named it "Pink Blob" as I had no idea about contrast.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:00 PM

I have sewn forever, but decided when my first grandson was born to try a quilt. It was pieced and appliqued, and took me forever, but I was hooked. Since then, I have taken classes, I quilt with a local group when I can, and read and watch videos on computer. I am hooked!!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:20 PM

I took a class here we made a sampler quilt and I also bought a class on line as well as bought books to read. I am a nee quilter as of 2010 and with each quilt I learn more and more. I find myself taking things slower and really trying to get the cuttimg and sewing more accurate. I still have a long way to go but am proud of what I have done up to this point
Old 02-11-2011, 07:27 PM

This is "samsews" not "lynmccoy" and my mother is teaching me. I'm more than a beginner and way less than the level she is. She wants to come up to her level so that I can finish teaching my daughter.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 PM

Self taught, plus some awesome friends, we all help each other out!! I am addicted!! Please don't ask me to make a shirt I have no idea where to begin!!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by craftinggrandma
I have made rag quilts but have never made a regular quilt. I was wondering if you had taken classes or are you self taught. What is the easiest quilt design to learn for a beginner.
I forgot to log out of my mom's e-mail account and into mine,but this is samsews.This is going to hard to remember!
My first one was my biggest mistake. My mom was telling me that her first quilt was a double wedding ring. Well.... I thought if she could do it then I could do it too. She said I did a good job for my first time, but I could tell by the look in her eyes that it was pretty bad. If that wedding ring quilt went to a bride and groom then that would be the shortest marriage in history!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 PM

my mom----- she's the best. She has been sewing something since she was 16. Gosh it's been 3 years now for me. All I wanted to do was a table runner for Thanksgiving, and was hoocked. I found my free quilt class last year and its been non stop, have learned so much it's amazing, these woman have been sewing together for years and they are really helpful and lots of fun.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:06 PM

A good friend gave me a cutting mat and rotary cutter - had sewn since 9 but those were unfamiliar. I read books for months AND months before I had the nerve to purchase fabric and then to cut it was alostr painful. I bought EQ and designed my first quilts - gives you everything from yardage to templates to rotary instructions. My first quilt is one of my favorites - Clay's Choice blocks (Henry CLay named block at quilt expo)and now I have more fabric and plans and find it is my true passion. This board is GREAT TOO!!!!!