Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Hi My DH Surprised me by buy-ing me a vintage singer with cabinet. It is still in the car I'll post pic of it tomarrow. Theresse
Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 PM

[quote=beaniekins]I got a new vintage machine today. It is an 1936 electrical model singer, I'm not sure on the exact model number. The serial number is JB 536014. The power works, but the motor doesn't turn the wheel very well. I suspect because the previous owner used the wrong oil, and too much of it. Is taking it apart and cleaning it the only thing that will help with that? The belt is in good shape so I don't think that's the problem. I got it for $30 since the owner was moving and didn't want to take it along.

Check the tutorials in "search". Billy has a tut on how to clean a machine, and Glenn(?) has one on cabinet repair.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:57 PM

Billy I went to this site and printed it out. It came out the size of a postage stamp. How do I make it bigger so I can read it? Kathie
Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 AM

I have not been an official member of the QB for long, but really enjoy reading to the stories of how the machines find us, and seeing the new surprises!! Can't wait to see the pictures.
Originally Posted by theresse
Hi My DH Surprised me by buy-ing me a vintage singer with cabinet. It is still in the car I'll post pic of it tomarrow. Theresse
Old 02-12-2011, 02:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by melinda1962
I have not been an official member of the QB for long, but really enjoy reading to the stories of how the machines find us, and seeing the new surprises!! Can't wait to see the pictures.
Originally Posted by theresse
I wish some would 'find' me at the kind of prices you guys are getting them. I paid over $300 for my featherweight (222), thought they go for a lot more than that sometimes.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:45 AM

I think I will call on this cabinet. I don't think I have seen one that opens on both sides like this one. I like the fold down drawer in the front too. I will ask for a better picture of the decals.

According to serial listed, is Model 66, Jan. 28, 1930, 23,609 made.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/atq/2205348070.html
Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I got a new vintage machine today. It is an 1936 electrical model singer, I'm not sure on the exact model number. The serial number is JB 536014. The power works, but the motor doesn't turn the wheel very well.
Congratulations on your "new" machine!!:-D. All it might need is a good oiling and lube, you'd be surprised how much difference it can make.

You can find out which model you have by looking up the serial number on this site:
http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html

I can't be 100% sure but it may be a model 99.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
I think I will call on this cabinet. I don't think I have seen one that opens on both sides like this one. I like the fold down drawer in the front too. I will ask for a better picture of the decals.

According to serial listed, is Model 66, Jan. 28, 1930, 23,609 made.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/atq/2205348070.html
The cabinet alone is worth that much!! Go for it!! :mrgreen:
Old 02-12-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Here is a cute Japanese 15 I got for $5.
That's WONDERFUL! I didn't realize that the Dressmaker's came in LBOW/white/cream colors. Awesome find, and for $5! I found an old 27 in a cabinet, belt electric motor, Tiffany decals with a big scratch across the bed decals. Not deep enough to gouge the japan, but enough to take out the decal in small line. The lady offered it to me for $40. I declined. lol. Left her my name and number, since she has a treadle she's looking to sell too. We'll see what happens.

But that cool Dressmaker? I would have bought it too!
Old 02-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Today, I bought an adorable little Singer cabinet from Craigslist :-D. When I bought my 201-2 last week, it came with a cabinet but this cabinet, that I bought today, also fits with the 201-2 and I prefer the vintage look of it compared with the modern-ness of the other cabinet.

How do I get the wires leading from the machine (for the foot and the plug) through the hole under the handwheel? I know there must be a way to do it :?:
I love the cabinet and it would fit in my house very well! ;-)

It favors the Singer #48 cabinet, very modern and handsome looking.

Billy