Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please describe your design wall >

Please describe your design wall

Please describe your design wall

Old 02-12-2011, 04:05 AM

I made a design wall with a large flannel backed table cloth which I purchased at Wal-Mart. Using the 3M hooks that are removable without damage on your walls and a cafe rod that measured the width of the table cloth and clip rings that go with the cafe rod.
Hang the hooks up at the appropriate distance clip the table cloth with rings slide onto rod and hang. The quilt pieces cling very well to the flannel. One nice thing about this approach is, you can also use the ring clips on a finished quilt or wall hanging and hang up over the flannel wall when you want to show off your space.
Happy quilting
Severna
Old 02-12-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by glowworm
Help, this newbie doesn't understand why you need a design wall. I spread blocks on a bed and pieces on a table. What am I missing? Also, thank you to everyone for all the good info. and tutes.
A design wall will allow you arrange your blocks to get the most pleasing design before sewing. You can arrange ALLl the blocks. You can also use a bed or the floor. I often put the flannel back table cloth on the bed and then roll up with the blocks on if I need to move or keep it. I was also taught that you need to lay the blocks out as to how the quilt is to be used. If it is a bed quilt then lay it on the bed/floor or hang it up if it is to be a wall hanging. Each methods gives a different visual.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by Cathie R
My queen size bed which is in the opposite end of the house from my sewing room. This way I also get my exercise walking back and forth. My dog also gets her exercise because she makes every trip I do.
I also use my queen size bed. I throw a sheet over it. This way can roll it up when it's time to use the bed for sleeping.
TRy a flannel backed table cloth. The blocks will stick better to it and will not move around if rolled. Also the table cllth has more body the sheet.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:04 AM

Good Morning & Happy Quilting.... I just have a king flannel sheet hanging on my wall & my blocks just cling to it
Old 02-12-2011, 07:09 AM

Mine is just a simple piece of light gray fleece tacked to a wall. Works geat!
Old 02-12-2011, 07:36 AM

O look forward to following this as I am in the infant stages of planning an addition that will be my sewing retreat room.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:49 AM

Nothing fancy here since we have our house on the market. I put up a flannel backed table cloth on the wall with heavy pins. Figure if we EVER sell the house, I can just paint over it to cover the marks. DH did suggest when we move that he would get a couple pieces of insulation board, put them together and I could cover them and he'd put them up. Whatever works and if you want to be able to take it down easily.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 AM

My design wall is very portable. My hubby bought 2 - 10' PVC pipe. I think it was 2". He also bought 4 Elbows. Then he cut the pipes in half. I had him leave the elbows off until I made the fabric fit. I used one of those soft rolled up blankets I found marked down at Dollar General but you could use flannel or whatever you want. I measured and sewed a Sleeve on each side. I had to leave about 4 inches from each end so it would fit snug and then put the PVC pipes through each one then put elbow on and connected. You will see what I mean about the fit once you have all elbows connected. I will try to get a picture oF mine to post.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:25 PM

My design wall if white flannel pinned all along the top sides and bottom to the wall. I never take it down. I vacuum to get loose threads off or use painters tape to get off the threads. Not fancy but works great. :thumbup:
Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM

My design wall is a flannel backed vinyl table cloth. I pin the vinyl side to the wall and place the blocks on it. They stay without any problem. It is easy to take down and store too.