Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you quilt your own quilts? >

How many of you quilt your own quilts?

How many of you quilt your own quilts?

Old 02-11-2011, 11:24 AM

I don't like the piecing part very much - quilting is the best part for me, too. And I even love making bias bindings and putting them on.

I've never had anything quilted by anyone else - rather, I've resorted to buying tops so that I have something to quilt. :mrgreen: Pretty sad to be buying someone else's UFO's!

I use ordinary domestic sewing machines, all of them vintage or antique, because they've got a lot more room under the arm than my modern machines.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM

So glad to hear that, polyparrot! I just found a tutorial on the board on how to sandwich a quilt without crawling around on the floor, and that is the part I hate most- so now I can enjoy the entire process. But I always really look forward to quilting. I like binding, too.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by sharoney
I'm just curious- because I love every aspect of quilt making-from planning, choosing and buying fabrics, and piecing. But my most favorite part is quilting! I can't wait to get the top finished (although I HATE the sandwiching part!) and get started FM quilting it! How many of you quilt your own quilts? And what's your favorite part of the quilt process?
I can not afford to have any one else quilt my quilts so I do the best I can myself. I am finding that QAYG is the best way for me to go on large quilts.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:55 AM

I quilt my own. I used to hand quilt and now I long arm them. I would say my favorite part of the process is putting on the bindings. I like quilts best when they are done ;)

Rose
Old 02-12-2011, 05:25 AM

So glad to hear that, polyparrot! I just found a tutorial on the board on how to sandwich a quilt without crawling around on the floor, and that is the part I hate most- so now I can enjoy the entire process. But I always really look forward to quilting. I like binding, too.
Where did you find the tutorial? Was it on this board or a link. I would love to look at it. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by PattyJean
Where did you find the tutorial? Was it on this board or a link. I would love to look at it. Thanks!
It's on this board- "Thread basting my quilt sandwich for FMQ"
Old 02-12-2011, 07:51 AM

Thank you so much! This is great and just what I was looking for. I love this board!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 PM

I just tried this method for the first time. It worked really well. I have poles from a hand-quilting frame that I used instead of what she recommended, but they worked fine.
Thank you so much! This is great and just what I was looking for. I love this board!!

I pin-basted instead of sewing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162982[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-162977.jpe
Views:	11
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	162982  
Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM

It's very important to me to hand quilt my finished tops. After pinning my front, batting, and back with safety pins I quilt by hand. I feel it connects me to our historic mothers. I have a since of continuing a haritage that few, in our time, honor.
Elaine
Old 02-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I just tried this method for the first time. It worked really well. I have poles from a hand-quilting frame that I used instead of what she recommended, but they worked fine.

Love your scrappy!