Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash Away Thread >

Wash Away Thread

Wash Away Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim
I used it when doing some applique designs and it works really well. Our quilt shop teacher told us she used it to resew the seams on her husbands bathing suit one year for a joke, I think the joke worked well. Ha Ha
Ha ha!! I like that! Might have to use it for our Jamaica trip in October.

Yes I use wash away for basting. that way I don't have to worry that I've run over a stitch and can't get it out.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:09 AM

Yes I use it, very expensive.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:04 AM

I use it for hand basting prior to quilting. It is quite expensive for what it is, but a great time saver and I don't have to worry about stitching over it. I always wash my quilts when they are finished.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:31 AM

I never used the thread but it sounds like a lot of fun. I received lottery tickets like that one time. I was already planning where to spend the money, but I found out. Had to cross that off my list.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:37 AM

http://www.heirloomsewingforchildren..._wash-away.htm

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...thread+200m.do

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...0&source=SEWNL
Old 02-13-2011, 06:04 AM

I have used it very often, since I teach trapunto. Is a very expensive thread. I always use it in the bobbin but not on the top. The reason for that is that when the piece is wet, the bobbin thread disapear and all you have to do to the top thread is to grab it, and since nothing is holding it from the bottom it will com off easily. If you use it on the top and use regular thread on the bobbin, you will have a thread trapped between your layers that could show. When I do Trapunto I mainly use solids and if the fabric is light you can see threads trapped in the batting.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:06 AM

I've used it for trapunto, it works very well. Just remember to STORE IT in a plastic bag, just the humidity in the air will degrade it over time!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 AM

Yes this is great thread. Be sure you put away both the thread and the bobbin in a seperate bag as you don't want to sew something at a later date and after its finished and washed it is gone. Martha Pullen uses this thread when she does the maderia (spelling) scollops. They are really fun.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 AM

I use it to baste my quilts for machine quilting. My hands cannot deal with pins. I have no concerns when quilting over the basted WS thread, as any bits & pieces left behind will just wash out.

One suggestion for those who use it in their machines ...
make sure you remove it from your machine asap, so that you don;t forget that it is WS and mistakenly use it as regular thread. I've heard that others have done that and then ended up with a mess on their hands when they washed it or steam ironed it.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:29 AM

The other thing to remember is read the directions and use the water temperature they suggest to remove the thread.

On the one and only trapunto project I used it for, I used the wrong temperature to dissolve the thread and it got brittle instead. I had to pick it out. Not fun.

Actually, these days I like using 100% wool batting instead of using the WS thread trapunto technique. As long as there's some dense quilting around the feathers, they really pop out and there's no 'stitching-it-twice' or batting to cut away.

Another use...I've machine basted quilts (after safety pin basting) with a North-South and East-West grid pattern for quilts where most of the quilting is on the diagonal. Then washed it out. Water soluble thread in both needle and bobbin.

Julie