women friends

Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 PM

I prefer men. I put up with women.

Some might consider it to be a right v. left brain thing. Doesn't matter how you want to categorize it. You, Roda, figured out young who you want to spend time with and there's nothing wrong with that!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:10 PM

Soooo glad to hear so many of you say it's fine not to be DEPENDENT on a woman friend, or fellow either. Was an only child and have always thought I wanted what I didn't have. But it is good the way it is.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 PM

My best friend is my husband. He as been for 38 years. We have a blast together. The older we get the more fun we have together.

I did have a best girl friend, but I lost her 4 1/2 years ago. We talked, shopped, had lunch together several times a week. She could finish my sentences. My husband said she was my soul mate. She was my youngest daughter. She was killed in an accident in 2006. My oldest daughter and I talk at least daily, but she lives in New York City. It is hard to go to lunch on the spur of the moment. I have been blest to have two daughters who are such good friends.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 PM

Most of my friends are men. I did a lot of sportswriting so that helped .

I hate talking on the phone and I'm not a shopper.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 PM

thank you for this thread. it helps to see i am not the only one that doesn't have really tight girl friends. my best friend in high school was a boy. i rarely shop with other ladies. i do have a few ladies i call friends and a lot of others that i am friendly with. i just don't care to shop with them or hang on the phone for hours. my sister is always trying to get me to join groups and be more social. fortunately, my hubby likes me just as i am.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 PM

If you are, so am I.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 PM

I am the oldest, with two brothers (we are all two years apart), and several boy cousins we lived close to when we were smaller. I was a Tomboy & just preferred to talk to boys, then teen boys, then men. My Ex was in the Army & I worked for Civil Service for The Army, so we were around more men. I never felt the need to have a girlfriend, so don't feel alone. We didn't stay in touch with friends from the military, so now I have a few women friends that I've done sewing for, but not on a friendship basis. I live close to my Son & his family.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
Originally Posted by Barbm
I'm the same way- I have friends, but when I need to shop, off I go. You're not weird (unless i am too)
same here
same here..
I still feel out of place when getting together for class reunions...and we just had our 52nd!
Somehow the conversations end up being either catty or shallow. I don't do that sort of chatting.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:15 AM

My sister has 5 or 6 friends she has had since grade school. I usually had one good friend in school but we moved some and I found it difficult to always be making new friends. I lost my dearest friend of 35 years to breast cancer 6 years ago. We had a lot in common and I miss her terribly. I grew up with 3 brothers and get along well with men but really miss my women coworkers since I retired. I think one reason I like this board is the company (in a manner of speaking) of women.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 AM

Guess I fit into the same catagory. I have a lot of woman I know but are not close to. My best friend is a gay man who was a great friend with my husband. He was there for me when my husband passed away. He will stop by to see me and quite often with a bouquet of flowers and always remembers me with gifts for my birthday and other holidays. My husband always said I got along better with men than I did with women..