Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for a recipe for meatballs >

Looking for a recipe for meatballs

Looking for a recipe for meatballs

Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM

http://www.copykatchat.com/recipe-requests/7902.htm

This is my favorite meatloaf.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:51 PM

My favorite meatball recipe is from an old firend in DE.
Add 1 pkg of spaghetti mix ( envelope style; used to use spatini) to each 2 pounds of ground beef. Add one egg, 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs and grated parmesan cheese, with 1 Tbsp parsley flakes or fresh chopped parsley. Mix together and fry in olive oil. Add to favorite spaghetti sauce. I usually add the oil and bits to the sauce also. Enjoy!!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM
mac

I don't know if this is the recipe you are looking for, but this has been a favorite in my family for over 40 years. My meatloaf recipe and my meatball recipe are exactly the same. Only the shape will tell you what it is. If it is flat, it's meatloaf; if it is a ball with spaghetti sauce, it's a meatball.

You can dress it up and add chopped spinach, swiss chard, add tomato sauce instead of milk. It is just a very basic recipe.

The mushrooms in the recipe help to keep the meatloaf moist and the carrots add more nutrition. As with any recipe, you have to tweak it a bit. If the meatloaf mixture is to loose, add more bread crumbs. If it's too dry, add a little bit of milk.

This is a large recipe, so I freeze what I don't need. It saves a lot of time. I freeze the meatballs or slices of meatloaf on a cookie sheet for an hour or so, when they are firm, I put them in a freezer bag. When they are frozen, put them in a freezer bag. You can just take out the amount you need and you have the biggest part of your dinner already cooked.

Basic Oven Meatballs Recipes

Ingredients:

3 Beaten eggs
3/4 C Milk
3 C Fresh bread crumb, cubed (about 4 1/2 slices)
1 C Onion, finely chopped
½ t. Salt (optional since the cheese makes it salty)
1 t. Pepper
1/3 C Fresh Parsley, minced
½ C Parmesan Cheese (I use fresh grated cheese)
2 C Finely chopped mushrooms
2 Carrots, shredded (Optional)
3 lbs Ground beef

Instructions:

1. Add a little olive oil in a skillet, sauté chopped onions until translucent, then add garlic and sauté for just a few seconds – until you can smell the garlic aroma. Turn off pan and let cool off the burner.
2. Mix the bread crumbs and milk and let sit together for a few minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine beaten eggs, milk/bread crumbs, chopped onion/garlic, mushrooms, carrots, parsley, parmesan cheese and salt/pepper. Stir until combined.
4. Add meat and mix well. The best way is to use your clean hands.
5. Shape into balls. Tip: if you wet your hands while rolling out the meatballs, the meat won’t stick to your hands.
6. Place meatballs in 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 2 1/4" baking pan. (I crammed them all together in one pan because they shrink when baked)
7. Bake @ 375 degrees 25 to 30 minutes or until internal temperature of meatballs reaches 165 degrees. If your meatballs are large, they will take longer. I made very large meatballs and they cooked about 1 hour. Don’t over-cook them, as they will finish cooking in the spaghetti sauce.
8. Remove from pan; cool.
9. Cook in a pot of pasta sauce on low for 1 hour.
10. Place the extra cooled meatballs on a cookie sheet; freeze until firm. Place in a bag when frozen and then you can take out just the number you need and put the rest back in the freezer.
Makes 2-3 dozen

Note: for meatloaf, bake in a meatloaf pan or a pie pan (it cooks faster, then you slice it like a pie). Mix: ½ C ketchup, 1T mustard and 2 t. brown sugar (or to your taste) and spread it on top of the meatloaf. Bake until internal temperature is 165 degrees. Pour off any fat that is in the pan and then let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:15 PM

This is my favorite recipe:
http://domesticatedengineer.blogspot...tball-mix.html
Old 02-13-2011, 06:52 PM

Gordons
Old 02-13-2011, 09:23 PM

Italian Meatballs.

l pound ground beef
1/2 pound Italian Sausage (if in links remove skin)
1 onion finely chopped
1 egg
1/2 to 3/4 cup parmesan cheese (instead of bread crumbs
this makes lighter meatballs and tastier.
good handful of freshly chopped parsley or dried parsley

Mix well, shape into the size you desire and lightly brown in olive oil.

Before starting this prepare your favorite spaghetti sauce and once you hve the meatballs browned, place in sauce and cook for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours or when the sauce is thickened to the consistency that you like. Be sure to put your Italian Seasoning in the sauce. Usually a heaping teaspoon per pot of sauce. You can find these in your grocery store in the spice section. Title Italian Seasoning. Sincerely hope you enjoy. These can be served with spaghetti or used with french bread for sandwiches. Using the Italian Sausage gives them unique seasoning and flavor. From Shirley Smaldino
Old 02-14-2011, 02:21 AM
Banned

HERB MEATBALLS

1lb minced beef- gr beef?
8oz sausage meat
onion finely chopped
1/2 teasp powdered rosemary
1 egg
salt/pepper
plain flour for tossing
2 garlic cloves
1/2 pint light ale or equiv
1/4 teasp ground cloves
level tblsp cornflower

combine beef/sausagemeat/egg/rosemary/salt-pepper/1/2 onions in a bowl, mix thoroughly, divide to 12 put on floured plate,
then fry in oil until brown , drain,then cook remaining onion, crushed garlic--then put balls in casserole dish[ I use le creuset as then cooked all in same pot ] put cooked onions on top with light ale then the ground cloves and cook ---if slo cooker low 4-6 hrs , high 3-4 hrs , however I cook in aga high for 40 mins ,thicken sauce before serving with basmatic rice with peas in , VERY comforting esp in cold weather.