Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-13-2011, 02:59 PM

Ok, just got home today and trying to catch up with all the information here.
First of all, happy belated birthday, Kathy. Hope you are having fun.

Lesley, thanks for the tutorials, I think I am going to stick with machine appliqué, but thinking about using the stem stitch like you showed for the embroidery.

Found my book waiting for me when I got home, and started looking at it...I feel a lot better about it now, although some blocks look hard, my machine stitching sort of looks like her stitching, so I think I'll be fine :mrgreen:

Looking through the photos, I can see this quilt in a chocolate background, with many yellows, oranges, greens and reds. I don't want to distract myself from what I am working on for the next couple of months, but will look for the perfect chocolate in Aprilish and want to start preparing my templates and cutting some of the earlier blocks to sort of get a head start in May.

Looking forward to it!
And yes I am definitely enlarging these blocks, the point are too tiny as is.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

So glad your book arrived, it's always nice when you have a lovely new book in your hand. Chocolate sounds good. Patti has already made her Jane in Chocolate, and that looks yummy too.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
So glad your book arrived, it's always nice when you have a lovely new book in your hand. Chocolate sounds good. Patti has already made her Jane in Chocolate, and that looks yummy too.
ooh, I wonder which chocolate fabric Patti used.
I was just showing the quilt in the book to my husband and he likes the quilt, especially when I told him that I am doing it in chocolate background...so I have a green light here. :thumbup:
Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 PM

Candi, those green lights help, don't they? Glad you are back, we missed you.

Leslie, when you are hand appliqueing do you put your fabric in a hoop or just hold it in your hand? I am used to doing embroidery in a hoop but it is a different style alos. LindaAnn
Old 02-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by candi
Originally Posted by Lacelady
ooh, I wonder which chocolate fabric Patti used.
I was just showing the quilt in the book to my husband and he likes the quilt, especially when I told him that I am doing it in chocolate background...so I have a green light here. :thumbup:
I used a Moda Kansas Troubles Wildflower Serenade and I love it! You can see a bit of it in my avatar. I'm glad you got your book and the colors you mentioned sound yummy to me..but then- those are my colors too!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 PM

I bought some more fabric!!! Yesterday, four fat quarters in PINKS. Plus a second online order that includes a second background PINK fabric and five more RED fat quarters. I think I will have enough fabric, at least for the first half of the quilt! :lol: I am prewashing since I am using a lot of REDS...
Old 02-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

Ooooh....sounds like you are hitting the jackpot Meredith! The other day I had a burgundy that I thought would be fine..but I dunked it and wow...I was amazed at all the dye that came out.

I am really terrified for Chocolate Jane...I have a mix of fabric in her- some washed, some not. Some of it was a jelly roll that I couldn't wash..some were bits and pieces from you..not washed..then some FQ's, etc., I did wash...so I have no idea what will happen...I'm scared!!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:19 PM

Use cold water & color catchers, and line dry.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Ooooh....sounds like you are hitting the jackpot Meredith! The other day I had a burgundy that I thought would be fine..but I dunked it and wow...I was amazed at all the dye that came out.

I am really terrified for Chocolate Jane...I have a mix of fabric in her- some washed, some not. Some of it was a jelly roll that I couldn't wash..some were bits and pieces from you..not washed..then some FQ's, etc., I did wash...so I have no idea what will happen...I'm scared!!
Yes, I know what you mean Patti...I hand washed the first few, and one of the reds released lots of dye in the water!!!

Ditto to Kathy's suggestion for Chocolate Jane's wash.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:48 PM

I am going to have to wash Asian Jane she has grubby marks and like you Patti I am terrified, I have some reds in their as well, so I have bought some colour catchers and will hold my breath, so you all use liquid soap in the cold water right?

Elle