Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by diannemc
My Darling? Husband is a TV person..He has no hobbies...Watching TV is all he does when not working...I am not!!..I love my sewing..He has always hated my sewing...
I don't know why except maybe the money it takes and the time it takes away from him...(and maybe the pins he has had to pull out of his barefoot a time or two :oops:)
Well the other day I finished a quilt and showed it to him.. He said "Thank goodness you are through".. I am sick of all this quilting..It use to be sewing now quilting... I wish you would just stop it..." I just turned and looked him square in the eyes and said.."Quilting makes me happy....and trust me....You want me to be happy..." Am I the only one here who has a hard time with a husband who doesn't understand to joy of quilting??
Just tell him this.......Would you rather me be quilting or out picking up guys that appreciate me quilting? At least he knows where you are and if he needed something he knows where to find you.

My wife really encourages my hobbies and never says anything about them. If anything she is an enabler as such........

Billy
Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 PM

You are definitely not alone! My husband is pretty similar to yours. 'nuff said.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by diannemc
My Darling? Husband is a TV person..He has no hobbies...Watching TV is all he does when not working...I am not!!..I love my sewing..He has always hated my sewing...
I don't know why except maybe the money it takes and the time it takes away from him...(and maybe the pins he has had to pull out of his barefoot a time or two :oops:)
Well the other day I finished a quilt and showed it to him.. He said "Thank goodness you are through".. I am sick of all this quilting..It use to be sewing now quilting... I wish you would just stop it..." I just turned and looked him square in the eyes and said.."Quilting makes me happy....and trust me....You want me to be happy..." Am I the only one here who has a hard time with a husband who doesn't understand to joy of quilting??
No you are not--that's why I never get to quilt--sewing machine is "too noisy" while he sits at the computer playing games.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by cag1949
No you are not--that's why I never get to quilt--sewing machine is "too noisy" while he sits at the computer playing games.
Get him some of those Bose noise-canceling headphones. He'll geek out about it, clamp 'em on his head so he can hear every "pow pow" in the game and leave you to your quilting.

(Yes, I have a pair. They are wonderful.)
Old 02-01-2011, 08:06 AM

I am very Blessed . My Dh is very helpful. He goes stash shopping with me . Gives his opinion , and compliments the finished Qiults. I could not' and wouldn't ask for more. Maybe in time .
Old 02-13-2011, 07:33 PM

Wow! That seems kind of harsh. My DH enjoys hunting so it's kind of a trade off. However, my sewing room in currently our bedroom and my sewing table is blocking his gun cabinet so he has decided to build me a new sewing room so that he can have his gun cabinet back.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:59 PM

I have read through all the entries again, including my earlier one, and count my blessings. But I just went out into the "man cave", the garage where he was watching the news, and asked him point blank how he felt about my quilting. And he said, "knock yourself out" which he further explained by telling me he was glad I enjoyed it, that he didn't feel I went overboard or overspent but would speak up if he thought I did. He also said that if I didn't complain about his table saws, he wasn't going to complain about my sewing machines. So I guess we're doing pretty good!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM

Dianne, my heart aches for you and all the other ladies here whose DHs don't support their habits. Reading all these posts has confirmed what I already knew- I am blessed with a true gem of a DH. I don't have to work, and as long as I keep the house (relatively) clean and he doesn't run out of clean underwear (oops!) not only does he not mind, he's very very supportive. We eat leftovers or soup and sandwiches 3 or 4 times a week, and he never complains. He loves all my quilts. About half of the quilts I make are gifts for friends and family, and he always says we should keep them, but I know he's very proud of my work. Whatever I want, within reason, he says, yeah, get it.
But, he's a gadget geek, and probably has spent alot more over the years (39!) than I have! His latest is a digital SLR camera, and he has spent HOURS in front of the computer on tutorials.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 PM

As for the husbands who don't like it when their wives fold laundry in common areas, hello, the 50s called and they want Archie Bunker back. Also, the 2010s said to fold your own *&%# towels.

LMAO!!!!!What she said!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM

Good for you standing your ground. This is so funny. My husband never complains about any of my projects. After 45 years I guess he has decided he may as well just say, "My, my honey. That's really nice." Tell your husband you can quietly quilt or talk to him while he's trying to watch TV (Talk loudly & pronounce each word carefully. Then ask him, "Did you hear what I just said?") He'll soon decide that while you are quilting he is being blessed. Have a wonderful tomorrow.