Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Caution with Your Vintage Machines >

Caution with Your Vintage Machines

Caution with Your Vintage Machines

Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 PM

So glad you're okay Billy!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 PM

Thank God you are ok and no house fire! Thx for the warning. I'd be machine shy for awhile after that experience.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the warning--too bad you had to have the "shock of your life".
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 PM

That is scary!! I'm glad you're ok, Billy. I am nervous to use my featherweight-I want to take the motor housing off and double check all the wiring but I honestly don't know what I'm looking at. The shop where I got it does repairs on them so I guess it's probably ok though.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

:shock: Wow, so glad you're ok, Billy! :shock: I would have had to change my drawers after that :!: You are right tho, when the electric grabs you, it doesn't wanna let go (please don't ask me how I know)
Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 PM

I've seen some beautiful old machines pictured on this site and have been looking to get one myself. I've looked at some old machines and have run across a pretty nice old electric Singer in it's original cabinet. By the serial number the Singer site says it is a 1938 Model 68 with 300 allotted. I have not been able to find out anything else about this machine. Has anyone ever heard of the Singer Model 68?...Or know anything about it? Thanks for anything you can add.

Originally Posted by Lostn51
As we all know what is old is new again and that the Vintage machines are really catching on. But before you plug one in and try her out be sure to have it inspected by someone that knows about electrics.

I service a lot of vintage machines both treadle and electric but I had one hand me my lunch today! I had rewired the machine and had it running but there was a slight crack in the porcelain of the rheostat that I somehow missed and when I hit the gas it blew out a flame 12" long and knocked the living stew out of me. If it were not for the breaker tripping I would have been toast!

110v will not let you go!!

Thankfully I rewired my entire house when I restored it and I put in all commercial grade everything.

So word to the wise make sure everything is checked out before plugging it in and hitting the gas!!

Billy
Old 02-13-2011, 11:16 PM

Wow, Billy I'm so glad your alright ,I got hooked up to that kind of Electric shook once I never forgot it, I can tell you that much!!! Be safe be careful Billy and everyone.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HopeToLearn
I've seen some beautiful old machines pictured on this site and have been looking to get one myself. I've looked at some old machines and have run across a pretty nice old electric Singer in it's original cabinet. By the serial number the Singer site says it is a 1938 Model 68 with 300 allotted. I have not been able to find out anything else about this machine. Has anyone ever heard of the Singer Model 68?...Or know anything about it? Thanks for anything you can add.
That I believe is an industrial, I will have to look it up to see exactly what we are working with but I can probably find you the manual for it in PDF and maybe some advertisements.

Billy
Old 02-14-2011, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by HopeToLearn
That I believe is an industrial, I will have to look it up to see exactly what we are working with but I can probably find you the manual for it in PDF and maybe some advertisements.

Billy
Thank you, any information is appreciated!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Banned

Okay I looked it up and it is a Button machine, depending on the sub model it could have been used in the Lingerie department and all sort of tacking and so forth!!

Really neat rascal I will say that and I have the parts blow up of that machine if you want PM me your email address and I will get that to you. And it might take a minute to down load because it is over 150 pages long!

Billy