Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Ducky no worries, you can do this!!! I have faith. Maybe reverse applique the white (or lavender) part and then normal applique the rest. It seems to be the white that is the hard part.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Ducky no worries, you can do this!!! I have faith. Maybe reverse applique the white (or lavender) part and then normal applique the rest. It seems to be the white that is the hard part.
Thank you, K. I guess it's practice and practice some more. ***sweeping up all the fallen feathers***
Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 AM

Lesley I love the way you did this, its perfect.

Ducky you could always sew the fabric onthe back and instead of cutting it thread a cord through so it looks like its raised on the front. Or sew cord on the front.

thin bias tape would also work well. I think htere are lots of ways to do this, you don´t have to do it as the book, she made a pigs ear of it anyway
Old 02-14-2011, 11:44 AM

Lovely tute but as Ducky says, my, my, my... lol, lol, now rolling with laughter (for release!)!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know I need to add this to my 'list' in 'my pages' so I can live on this page in the future days to come!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Lovely tute but as Ducky says, my, my, my... lol, lol, now rolling with laughter (for release!)!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know I need to add this to my 'list' in 'my pages' so I can live on this page in the future days to come!
I think the outer edge of this block was done in reverse because otherwise the light border would be fairly bumpy with both edges being tucked under it. Anyway, it would be good to learn this because this is how the larger border is done.

Ducky, don't lose any feathers over this - you have a whole week to get it done, and I don't think I have taken any longer than two days (mostly just two evenings) to do the ones I have finished. Even if it takes longer than a week, you will still end up with a beautiful quilt that will have just taken a little longer. (Enough to grow new feathers after your moult.)
Old 02-14-2011, 12:59 PM

Patti, thanks for the info on chocolate fabric, I'll be considering the possibilities.

Lesley,
Your work is so beautiful! I love every block you made and starting to think that I am behind :mrgreen: you are going to be done before I even buy my fabric,lol. But I am enjoying watching,learning and planning.

Ducky and LindaAnn, I am joining your forces, boy what have I gotten myself into :shock:

Ok, I spent some more time with the book last night and at break at work today...using machine appliqué, I feel that I can simplify some of the blocks, so I am hoping no quilt police will get me,lol. My blocks may not look as elaborate but I think I'll like them.

And not to put the cart in front of the horse here, but those of you doing machine appliqué, how would you quilt these blocks? The little appliqué I did, I always did outline quilting, about a quarter of an inch all the way round the shapes, but with many of the blocks, it looks like there isn't enough space to that, and I am not sure how it would work quilting over the appliqué stitches if that makes sense. And the embroidery, how would it work doing the embroider after the sandwich in made as part of the quilting? Has anyone done anything like that? The one concern would be hiding the knots...I am just brainstorming here, I sort of like yo get an idea of how this quilt could be completed...don't have and don't want any UFOs :mrgreen:
Old 02-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

I had thought of outline quilting, but I don't like the examples in the book, with what appears to be invisible thread. I figured I would think of something by the time I get there.

Please don't get disheartened because I have made a few of the blocks, I had nothing else to do unless I started something else, and really didn't want another UFO on my hands when I started this one.

I also felt that since I had promised Kathy to take a lot of pics in progress, that if I was a few weeks ahead of you all at the start, then I would be able to show you pics and talk you through problems.

I'm sorry - I am retired, so I don't have to go out to work anymore, and I have help from a lovely home support lady because I have a few health issues, so sewing is something I CAN do, and it gives me great pleasure. That makes it hard to stop sometimes too.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:11 PM

Lesley, as far as I'm concerned, you have absolutely nothing to apologise about!!! Contrary to what you may gather from my panic attacks, you are helping me out a great deal. I LOVE looking at what each finished little piece will look like. I just hope I can even come close to your skill level.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
Lesley, as far as I'm concerned, you have absolutely nothing to apologise about!!! Contrary to what you may gather from my panic attacks, you are helping me out a great deal. I LOVE looking at what each finished little piece will look like. I just hope I can even come close to your skill level.
Lesley, I totally agree with ducky here, thanks for the time to photograph and explain your steps, you are helping me a great deal and getting me excited.
I had to go back and look at the block, I couldn't even see the quilting before but now I see how she did it. I guess I was confusing the appliqué with quilting stitches just to show How much I know :oops:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Thank you ladies, I just didn't want you to feel bad because I had made a start when the official start date is so far away, and I didn't want anyone to feel pressured to start before then..

On the other hand, I did want to give some of you some guidance if you wanted to practice before June, because you are hoping to hand stitch, but don't have much experience of this.

Re quilting, it isn't obvious on all the blocks, but it can definitely be seen on Blocks 9, 10, 11, 12, 23, 29 and 34, and probably a few more besides.

For those of you who have said that you are a little 'put off' by the pics in the book, try thinking of it this way. You are probably here because you like the design. (At least I hope so). To be put off, is like viewing a house for sale, and not liking it because you don't like the seller's furniture. Perhaps Aie is a better designer than a quilter, but she has still produced a lovely piece of work.