Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are the Challenges of Piecing and Quilting with Flannel? >

What are the Challenges of Piecing and Quilting with Flannel?

What are the Challenges of Piecing and Quilting with Flannel?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 AM

used flannel to back my raggy quilt. Just the right weight for our bed and nice and snuggly. It does make a lot of lint. I did not pre wash and it turned out fine.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Makes a great rag quilt. The fuzzies on top accent the squares nicely. Been there, done that. However, you might want to take it to a laudramat to wash for the fuzzy edge effect. The threads come out and are all in your machine. AND, I line dried mine. Did not want the fuzzies in the dryer too. Learned my lesson in washing. Vacuum cleaner comes in handy.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 AM

This is a quilt I made from flannel. The material was a heavy weight type I had never seen before from Craft Warehouse. I pre-washed it and starched it before cutting. I did use a medium weight flannel for the backing out of fear that it would be too heavy to hand quilt through. It seemed to work well, but I couldn't make my stitches as small as I would have like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-159200.jpe
Views:	148
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	159205  
Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 AM

I have made numerous (30+) flannel baby quilts and have sewn several flannel shirts. I do preshrink the shirts, but not for the quilts. I've never had a problem. I do believe the quality of the flannel is the key.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Just to add to everyone else's advice. Probably larger blocks or larger pieces to your blocks, take a slightly larger stitch length, use walking foot, and I personally use a slightly larger seam allowance. A larger seam allowance is not strictly necessary but depends on the quality of the flannel.
I would say the larger seam allowance is a good idea--I've resewn a number of seams in my GS quilt because they had frayed out. Since the unhappy earlier experiences, I NOW use 1/2 seams and simple designs with relatively large pieces. I also work with new fabric, unwashed.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by moreland
Just to add to everyone else's advice. Probably larger blocks or larger pieces to your blocks, take a slightly larger stitch length, use walking foot, and I personally use a slightly larger seam allowance. A larger seam allowance is not strictly necessary but depends on the quality of the flannel.
I would say the larger seam allowance is a good idea--I've resewn a number of seams in my GS quilt because they had frayed out. Since the unhappy earlier experiences, I NOW use 1/2 seams and simple designs with relatively large pieces. I also work with new fabric, unwashed.
I have list of acronyms from previous posts and GS is not on it. What is GS?
Old 02-14-2011, 11:49 AM

I just finished a flannel quilt in dark beautiful colors. The fabric picked up everything except good ice cream and a handsome butler. LOL. Obviously, my sewing station was not that neat. Your hubby will love it. Soft, cozy and warm.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by vschieve
Originally Posted by moreland
I have list of acronyms from previous posts and GS is not on it. What is GS?
Girl scout?? :)
Old 02-14-2011, 12:12 PM

Never go cheap on flannel? I asked at the LQS today and she said there are three types of quilting flannel and JoAnn's has #3, the cheapest, and that is JoAnn's high priced quilting flannel. She said QS flannel has never pilled on her, no matter how many times it is washed. I'm opting to never go cheap on flannel and also liked the suggestion to use flannel as batting. Smart people here :) :) :)
Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 PM

QuiltInADay.com and EleanorBurns.com have some nice flannels at excellent prices...the Benartex is there.